Hi all,

Heard of this phrase a few times but what is it? smile.gif

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest Bretty

Hi BT,

The beachcaster method is a way of surface fishing baits. Basically you fish with your rod pointing to the sky (Hence the bc method) With your line going out to an anchored lead. Between you and where your line enters the water you attach* the hooklink to the main line so that it hangs down and the baited hook just rests on the water. (Are you with me? could really do with some pictures here!!)

You can also incorporate a sliding float between the hooklink and the lead so where your line enters the water is the float and then you line goes down to the lead on the bottom. This is really difficult to explain.

It's a great method because theres no line on the surface of the water and you can cast and position the bait easily without spooking the fish.

I use a sliding/knot method (basically you tie water knots onto the main line with long and short tails so the float and hooklink slide up the mainline past the knots on cast and stays there, takes some playing around with different sized beads and swivels). so its easier to cast with just a short drop.

*Some will argue it's not a very safe rig to use and is often banned. Just make sure the hooklink is able to come off the mainline if it breaks!!!.

Email me if you'd like some pictures! This ones really hard to explain without pics.

Bretty wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Bretty (edited 18 June 2001).]

Guest Bretty

Heres what the basic set up looks like. The high line is good for scaring away the ducks and geese!!

setup.jpg

It's a very basic sketch rolleyes.gif

As you can imagine It's very difficult to cast out like this. So you can 'collapse' the rig with the float and hooklink down the line and make them slide up the line as it is cast through the air. By tying a series of water knots with different length tails you can make it so the hooklink slides all the way up the line over both knots and the float catches on the first knot.

setup1.jpg

Heres a little detail of the water knots:

setup2.jpg

If that makes any sense at all? You may want to right click on the pictures and 'veiw image' Coz they are a bit big. Why do i always manage to confuse people more then i explain stuff?

Thanks to liam for the use of his website!!

Bretty

[This message has been edited loads by Bretty and he still aint got it right(edited 18 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bretty (edited 18 June 2001).]

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Hey Bretty

Have you ever thought of taking up engineering for a living cos your diagrams are perfect for it mate tongue.gifbiggrin.gifrolleyes.gif lol

Oh yeah & cheers for that cos that style is called skywards round here & i always wondered what the beachcaster method was! smile.gif

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

Guest Gaffer

Hi all, another good method of attaching the hooklink is to use a bit of large bore heat-shrink tubing, 2 rubber beads and a swivel.

With the tubing bent at 90 degrees it will slide easily until tension is applied in which case it will lock in place, just enough to stay put.

When a fish is 'on' the hooklink and the float will slide down to the lead for easy playing of the fish.

BC-rig.jpg

I don't like the use of a 3-way swivel and a lower breaking strain line for 'just in case' which I've seen being used.

Even if the lower breaking strain line does break when snagged it will leave the broken line, float and lead in the water which I think is unecessary when all you have to do is use the heat-shrink tubing method.

It is also very difficult to play a fish with 10ft of line, float and lead are being trailed by the fish!

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 18 June 2001).]