Florida Tackle Shops

Guest Big W

Guest Big W

I'm flying out to Florida next week and would like to take advantage of their cheap reels, braid, accessories etc.

Does anyone know of any decent tackle shops I could visit in the Orlando/Kissimmee area ?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Keith Finn

Big W,

One of the best shops to go to has to be the Bass Pro Shops.

It has everything in there that you will need and it as pretty cheap.

It is near the Belz Shopping outlet on International Drive.

email me and I will send some maps for you of the other attractions and places to visit and I will mark a few " Fishin' Holes" for you to visit!.

Beware of snakes and other biting things though!!!!.

Keith

Guest davidP

Walmart & K-Mart often have a reasonable range of tackle, although they seem to stock mostly the bottom end in terms of rods & reels. They have the odd good reel at prices that will depress you but I was always disappointed in the rods. The cost of lines, braids, hooks, lures etc will leave you stunned though - I've been known to nearly cover my airfare in savings just on accessories! Best thing to do if you want rods & reels is dig out the local yellow pages and go through them. BassPro is one to look for certainly - most of the US newsgroups seem to rate it pretty highly.

You could try the US Yellow Pages site before you go and print off the results : http://us.yell.com/servlet/yell.search.Search

I am lucky enough to have a Bass Pro Shop within 20 minutes of my house. Since they have very few stores, it is not unusual for folks to drive 400+ miles to get to one.

I can tell you for sure that they have the largest selection of fishing gear you will see anywhere except for the Cabela's stores which also are rare. Prices are as good as you will find anywhere - pretty much the same as Wal-Mart on items they both stock.

Line, lures, camo clothing will be a lot less expensive than anyting you will see in the UK. Camping gear is also well priced but you won't seen the heavier tents and such this time of year - or the heavier clothing for that matter.

If you need all-season footware, look for boots with goretex and thinsulate. Water proof, warm, breathable, and light.

If you use fixed spool reels and are thinking of getting one or more in the near future, take a look at the Shakespear Tidewater reels. Solid gear. Freespool (baitrunner) lever. Main clutch in front. $55 (£39.x) as of today.

Guest tony jolley

Hi!

I can say its worth going to the Bass pro shop as keith says,

You cant miss the one on International drive at the Beltz mall shopping complex,

remmember were you park your car as you will be a bit disorientated when you come out into the open air, (the car parks are massive over in the U,S)

check out the range of Mustad hooks called "Live bait hooks"

they are a great pattern I`m using them all the time and at $4 for 100 you can`t go wrong, I was looking for a left hand wind bait caster but was unlucky (out of stock)

give your self plent time to look around,

And as Newt says check out the clothing and boots.

ps were are you stopping is it a family hol (Disney, bush gardens) or a fishing trip?

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley