Elastication

Jim_UK

I have never owned a margin pole before and I am a little unsure about the elastication.

As you know each section of a pole slides into the next size up when you dismantle the pole but if you chose to elasticate the top two sections then you can no longer do this and need a separate pole tube to hold the top during transport.

The margin pole that I have bought (Ebay) is a Garbolino 6.5M which is a carbon composite three sections and full carbon top.

Is it usual on a margin pole to elasticate just the top section (just over 5 foot) or would you elasticate the top two sections necessitating carrying the top two in another tube. Please only answer if you actually do pole fish and have elasticated/used margin poles as I really do want to get this right.

I would normally just use the power top two of my standard pole to fish the margins but have experienced the problem of trying to add extra sections when a lunker has made off with the bait.

Thanks in anticipation

Jim

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

I have never owned a margin pole before and I am a little unsure about the elastication.

As you know each section of a pole slides into the next size up when you dismantle the pole but if you chose to elasticate the top two sections then you can no longer do this and need a separate pole tube to hold the top during transport.

The margin pole that I have bought (Ebay) is a Garbolino 6.5M which is a carbon composite three sections and full carbon top.

Is it usual on a margin pole to elasticate just the top section (just over 5 foot) or would you elasticate the top two sections necessitating carrying the top two in another tube. Please only answer if you actually do pole fish and have elasticated/used margin poles as I really do want to get this right.

I would normally just use the power top two of my standard pole to fish the margins but have experienced the problem of trying to add extra sections when a lunker has made off with the bait.

Thanks in anticipation

Jim

Jim,my advice would be to continue using your normal pole(top two sections)and elasticate it using daiwa hydrolastic in purple,this is a hollow elastic and trust me will stop a train,the reason i would not use a composite pole is purely i believe them to be inferior quality to carbon and the wall strength minimal,good luck

Jim,my advice would be to continue using your normal pole(top two sections)and elasticate it using daiwa hydrolastic in purple,this is a hollow elastic and trust me will stop a train,the reason i would not use a composite pole is purely i believe them to be inferior quality to carbon and the wall strength minimal,good luck

Thanks for the reply. I already have the margin pole so do intend to use it. It does seem to be very robust which of course is what you expect of such a pole. I am not worried about the extra weight of it being composite as it is quite short and I always use a forward rest and also a rear "hook" (clever claw).

The question is whether to elasticate just the top section or the top and composite second section.

My top kits on the Maver pole are elasticated with Prestons hollow 14-17 elastics which should be more than adequate for the fishing I do.

Jim

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

Thanks for the reply. I already have the margin pole so do intend to use it. It does seem to be very robust which of course is what you expect of such a pole. I am not worried about the extra weight of it being composite as it is quite short and I always use a forward rest and also a rear "hook" (clever claw).

The question is whether to elasticate just the top section or the top and composite second section.

My top kits on the Maver pole are elasticated with Prestons hollow 14-17 elastics which should be more than adequate for the fishing I do.

Jim

Jim

I bought a Middy white knuckle (6m) that had a top section elasticated in the pole and a spare top 2 section with some elastic that was about 25. I think the single elasticated section had 12-14 elastic in it. It seems ok with just the single top section. Although I have only had Carp to about 5lb .

Regards

Rob

The problem of course is not knowing what is going to pick up your bait. I have had lots of carp to 16 pounds on the previous Maver pole and finally of course down to the last two sections but I would not like to hook one of that size just on the top two sections. Hence the margin pole which will save my power tops some grief. I have measured the top section of the margin pole at 5 foot but am still unsure whether to just elasticate that or that plus the next section. I intend to elasticate with at least 18's so as to be able to put some pressure on to stop fish getting into snags. Of course the longer the elastic the greater the chance the fish has of getting to those snags.

Am I convincing myself to just elasticate that top section? :rolleyes:

Jim

Edited by Jim_UK