Bargain Pole

Guest ginger

It was a toss up between a couple of hours fishing or taking the motorbike for a gallop this morning. The weather was sunny with the temperature in the mid 40's (F) but with a very strong wind and as I have never enjoyed fishing in the wind, the bike won. Whilst out I just 'happened' to pass through Potter Heigham which is in the middle of the Norfolk Broads and where there is a large tackle shop attached to Latham's so I naturally just had to have a look with no intention of buying anything (honest dear!). Lurking by the entrance were several large bins containing telescopic poles in 3,4,5 and 6 metre lengths at £3:99,4:99, 5:99 and 6:99 respectively. Never having even considered fishing with a pole I thought that at such a price it has got to be worth a try. I bought a 5 metre 'Holiday' pole but they also had 'Mitchell' branded ones as well. Having bought the pole I also picked up a couple of winders with ready to go terminal tackle, 5 metres long in 3lb line and size 18 hook. The pole does not have elastic, just a ring at the tip for fixing the terminal tackle to. Can somebody now please tell me what to do with them (apart from the obvious please!!!)

Thanks Happychef, that has at least explained another use for it, I now have to remember where I put the leather pouch and handcuffs!

Thanks Happychef, that has at least explained another use for it, I now have to remember where I put the leather pouch and handcuffs!

Ginger - if you are interested, I can point you to a US site with some very inexpensive slip-on rings and a small (really small) reel designed for just that sort of rod. Takes just a minute or so to slip the rings on and you can easily take them off before putting the whip back to it's shortest length.

We use them when fishing for crappie which pretty much require a very delicate presentation.

BTW - they work well with a very small jig rather than a hook & bait of any sort. 1/48oz to 1/32oz is good. Cheap too. smile.gif

They can be used with just a line tied to the tip section (about mid-way) and the line wrapped several times around the tip section before passing it thru the ring on the tip.

Guest Gray-Catchpole

hi ginger

while at the nec last year Darrell and myself picked up a couple of holiday poles the 3m versions, all you have to do is tie the rigs on the eye on the end and you can fish to hand.

the other thing with these poles, the end section is hollow, so you can cut it back a bit and put an elastic in, great fun for catching small stuff, and if a bonus fish comes along youve got the added security of the elastic.

email me if you need any help.

------------------

Email: mailto:gray@catch-pole.co.ukgray@catch-pole.co.uk

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Or instead of tying the rig to the eye in the end tie it to a snap swivel & clip it on the end.

If you do this with all your rig set ups it'll be eaier to change them if you get some bigger/smaller fish taking your bait smile.gif

If you want some real bargain whips contact Mullarkey direct in Burton On Trent cos they do a collection of 3,4,5,6m whips for £19 (i think you get a 7m as well but i can't remember for sure)

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

SACG/SAA 177 SACN 252

hehe i'm with the ANMC are you?

mailto:Stafford@go-fishing.co.ukStafford@go-fishing.co.uk

• 1 month later...

ginger

has to tour 5 metre whip I would take off the top eye thing and replace it with a stonfo ask your tackle dealer he will know what it is. it is like you use on a pole, but it slip's on the end.

if your tip is hollow then put some elastic through it. have fun steve :)

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions, I tried it out a couple of weeks ago on my 'private pond', the irrigation reservoir on the estate where I live and work. Used a made up rig consisting of 2.5lb line and a size 18 hook with maggot or sweetcorn. Fish a cast for 2-3 hours! Honest!!! All roach and rudd up to around 6 ounces but I do know there are several roach that were, 6 years ago, either side of 3lbs, what will they be now if still alive? catching them is an altogether different proposition, the smaller ones up to half a pound are too easy and make the likelihood of getting down to the big ones almost zero. I have even tried oxo sized lumps of meat but then it is either 8-12 ounce roach or crucians up to 2lbs, bit of a bummer really? I do not fish it that often for that reason, I do prefer the uncertainty of what's coming next on a well mixed fishery. I must say that I still prefer a conventional rod and reel but I can see the advantage of a pole/whip, especially when match fishing, which I don't.

Pete