Pike...Not changed much?

Dave H

I think what phone says about genetics and the more limited diet is the more likely explanation, The other species are omnivorous and pike eat fish, there's maybe a limit to how heavy they can get on the fish diet that's available to them. We judge the size of our fish by weight rather than length too. I wonder how many fish longer than the record pike have been caught but were a pound or two lighter?

It should be noted that something like 13 of the 15 biggest pike caught in the UK are from stocked trout waters. Make of that what you will.

Personally, I don't believe the stories of monters lurking away in Scottish lochs. Even the biggest pike caught up here are taken from trout waters.

In the past you might have seen the biggest pike taken from waters with a large run of sea-trout and salmon but in recent years, a 'large' run can be counted in the hundreds, so I find it unlikely that there are any secret monsters lurking in Lomond or any other naturalised waters for that matter.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

It should be noted that something like 13 of the 15 biggest pike caught in the UK are from stocked trout waters. Make of that what you will.

And the other 2 were probably caught a few miles down the road from me... ;)

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Indeed, If a fair percentage of their food is made up of trout which they have access to all the time, they'll potentially put on more weight than fish that , at best have only a dwindling seasonal supply to hunt down.

I'd be surprised too, if a new record pike came from a big natural loch/lake in the UK these days.