Mitchell Challenge pole/whip

casts_by_fly

HI Guys,

I saw one in a shop over the weekend and it felt pretty decent. I think it was a 4m version and I was surprised how light it was for the price. Anyone know anything about them or use one? I was thinking that for less than a tenner I should add a 6m version, just to have on. I have a short spinning rod that i fish floats on, but this pole/whip would do about the same with less fuss.

On that note, is this a pole or whip? The one I saw didn't have a ring for the tip, rather it was just plain graphite. It wasn't hollow either though so I don't know how you'd get any elastic through it. Maybe I am missing something?

Thanks,

Rick

HI Guys,

I saw one in a shop over the weekend and it felt pretty decent. I think it was a 4m version and I was surprised how light it was for the price. Anyone know anything about them or use one? I was thinking that for less than a tenner I should add a 6m version, just to have on. I have a short spinning rod that i fish floats on, but this pole/whip would do about the same with less fuss.

On that note, is this a pole or whip? The one I saw didn't have a ring for the tip, rather it was just plain graphite. It wasn't hollow either though so I don't know how you'd get any elastic through it. Maybe I am missing something?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick

I bought a 5M version for my son. It was a whip with a plastic connetor on the end. ( it has come off once and been glued back) It was only £5 or £6 so i don't know whether its the same. i sometimes use it when i want a quick setup as sometimes i may only get a hour or two to fish. ( can be fishing in less than 5 minutes). Had Tench and Bream upto 2lb on it and it managed ok. (A bit scary when first hooked). But it was bent double and about to go bang when i hooked a 2lb 15oz Tench. Luckily the whip survived and i managed to net the fish. Lost another on the same session about the same size cause it powered into the weeds. No grunt in the whip to stop the fish. Great for smaller stuff though. Probably abit heavy compared to more expensive poles or whips. i think i saw a nice carbon 6m whip which was as light a feather but closer to £100.

Hope this is of help.

If it breaks i would probably get anothr one.

Regards

Rob

thanks Rob. I checked my local today at lunch and they didn't have any. I did pick up a 6m fiberglass one though. It was cheap, but should work well enough on small fish. At the moment I have a 7' spinning rod for fishing floats/wagglers and it works well enough. I think the whip would be easier to manage. Also, my local lake allows one rod and one line or else you pay extra. Might as well have both and not pay extra, right?

Thanks,

Rick