Yaddlethorpe Ponds, Scunthorpe

fruitloopy

I will be taking out my young brother in law on Sunday when we visit the wifes family in Scunthorpe at the weekend so I am looking for a relatively easy water to get him fishing on.

A quick look on the webby turned up a place called Yaddlethorpe Ponds which apparantly used to be a privately owned fishery but now public.

Is this any good? Does it get packed quickly?

If this is not very good does anyone else have any recommendations?

Cheers.

I will be taking out my young brother in law on Sunday when we visit the wifes family in Scunthorpe at the weekend so I am looking for a relatively easy water to get him fishing on.

A quick look on the webby turned up a place called Yaddlethorpe Ponds which apparantly used to be a privately owned fishery but now public.

Cheers.

Never fished Yaddlethorpe ponds myself I'm afraid so can't help but it is day ticket and according to the local paper, fishing well.

However if you want a dead easy water, you could try Messingham Sands. Go past Yaddlethorpe ponds leaving Scunny. A couple of miles up the road you'll come to a X roads, turn right. About half a mile down there, there is a left turn down a gravel track. Immediately on your right is the Oak Tree Pond. Parking behind most pegs and its solid with fish. Gets popular at a weekend though. Next on the right is a match lake followed by two more day ticket waters, also on the right. There's some good fish in these with Carp and Cats topping 20 lb but there obviously not as easy as the Oak Tree Pond.

Day tickets are collected on the bank and I think they cost £5. Dawn to dusk fishing only.

If you don't fancy that, then carry on down the road another half mile and there's a day ticket pond opposite the driving range which has a good selection of species to go at. I think you have to get your tickets from the clubhouse but best check first.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ron

Cheers.

Hi m8...Yaddlethorpe ponds would probably be hard going for a "Beginner"...Gin clear water,light tackle needed,probably overfished.

A better bet would be one of the haven ponds.Best for a beginner is the one on the messingham to kirton road.

Follow Brigg road out of messingham,take right turn cleatham/kirton road,sharp left hand bend about a mile down the road.

Entrance to pond is right on that bend(signposted),right hand side,follow that for 50 yds and your there.

Full of stock (mirror & common)carp to around 4lb....Use small luncheon meat cubes on a 10 hook.Feed hemp and sweet-corn regularly...You can`t miss.

A lad I know had an overnight session there last weekend,caught over 40 carp....Good luck..cheers.

Thanks guys

I think we'll head for Messingham Sands as its got plenty of lakes to choose from and I can find all their info on the website. If its packed then we'll go to the other one recommended.

I hope to gain another dedicated fisherman within the family so I hope we have a good day.

Cheers.

Yep.Messingham sands are a good choice.They do get hammered though.

Here`s a map showing those above and other waters in the local area.(can`t remember all the names)

May be useful to others looking for the same as yourself.

Gave the ones I`ve fished a mark out of 5.(purely my own opinion,for what it`s worth).

MessinghamIDBmap.jpg

Another really easy fishing location is Blyton ponds.Here`s their website link...Cheers.

http://www.blytonponds.co.uk/