Night Fishing spots near Preston

Hi,

I've promised my son that I'll take him night fishing during the summer hols. I really could do with a place that won't mind us building a small fire (purely for the experience for his benefit), so I guess a farm pond would suit, but I'm not holding my breath.

So, do you know of a course fishing venue that allows night fishing near Preston, Lancs?

The cheaper the better. :)

Guest tigger
Hi,

I've promised my son that I'll take him night fishing during the summer hols. I really could do with a place that won't mind us building a small fire (purely for the experience for his benefit), so I guess a farm pond would suit, but I'm not holding my breath.

So, do you know of a course fishing venue that allows night fishing near Preston, Lancs?

The cheaper the better. :)

Your not likley to find anyone who's gonna let you start building fires. What's the point of that anyway, what's that got to do with fishing ? Nothing worse than going to a peg and some plank's had a fire and left all the remains there for you to stand in and get coverd in black crap, plus it looks a bloody mess !

Edited by tigger

Like I said, I wasn't holding my breath. However, if you can't see what the attraction would be for a boy in having a camp fire, then I'm lost for words.

Your points about crap being left are valid, it's akin to the remains of BBQs at camp sites, bloody annoying. But some campers know how to have BBQs without leaving a scorched mess on the grass.

I've fished at places that have had suitable areas for small fires, mainly farm ponds and with the blessing of the farmers. albeit some 15 years ago or so.

Your not likley to find anyone who's gonna let you start building fires. What's the point of that anyway, what's that got to do with fishing ? Nothing worse than going to a peg and some plank's had a fire and left all the remains there for you to stand in and get coverd in black crap, plus it looks a bloody mess !

Sorry to have to agree with tigger as he is a bit of an old spoil sport, :rolleyes: but fires do give angling a bad name.

Anyway its fair weather, try it with out a fire.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

You're right they do, Lutra. I'd only ever contemplate building a fire if I had permission first. The boy wanted a camp fire feel to his night fishing. I told him to expect a big NO, but what better place than here to ask if there is such a place that allows them.

Guest tigger
You're right they do, Lutra. I'd only ever contemplate building a fire if I had permission first. The boy wanted a camp fire feel to his night fishing. I told him to expect a big NO, but what better place than here to ask if there is such a place that allows them.

Maybe if you get a Kelly kettle that will give your son his camp fire feel ? And you both get a brew out of it.

Cant think of anywhere that would let you make fires and fish near Preston.

When i was a teenager that used to night fish higher up the Ribble than Preston (out in the sticks a bit) i can recall an odd fire being light made with drift wood down on the gravel by the river (even an odd can of beer and a number 6 or two). Sadly as a sensible grownup and club member i cant condone such behavior these days. Don't suppose we did much damage as the next bit of high water would have washed the gravel clear, more a case of if everyone did this the place would be a right mess.

As trigger says a kelly kettle is one way or how a disposable barbecue that go's home with you at the end.

OK thanks all. So lets forget the fire requirements and just seek a good cheap place to night fish that will allow a 2 man tent, and has lots of small fish to give us a bigger chance of catching?

Anyone recommend anywhere please?

I don't tend to setup camp when I'm night fishing locally or do a lot of that bivy carp fishing thing, so i might not be a great help. But i think some of the local commercials might accommodate your needs, like here or here.

Guest tigger

That Wyreside looks good as far as fisheries go. At least they have the sense to have barbed hooks only rather than the usual missconcieved barbless hooks only rule thinking they do less damage to the fish. I was beginning Steve Burk was the only Fishery owner with any fish care knowlage, good to see there are others.

Edited by tigger