mp3 recorders

Peter Sharpe

Is there a programme that is known to be the best device for recording from the sound card directly to mp3? I have been trying to record from some old audio cassettes, using a trial version of a program called Precision CD WAV MP3. It is fairly easy to use, the only snag being that you have to record first to a wav file, and then convert that to mp3. It also seems to over record on some tracks, and you cannot ajust the input level.

I have tried quite a few so far, including some that will record directly to mp3, but this one seems the best of a poor bunch. Do any of them have something like a VU meter that actually works? I haven't managed to find a totally free one anywhere, so if I'm going to pay I'd like to get the best one.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Thanks for the link, but none of them seemed better than the one I am already using, and none of them seem to be very well designed. I can't find one that allows you to monitor the actual sound through the sound card. Some of them give you the impression that they are doing this, but although it sounds OK through the speakers, it still sounds over recorded on the completed file.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.