###### Banking industry

Guest Danny H

Guest Colin Payne

Because of previous bad credit I have a Nat West Step Account which according to the blurb says "we don't let you go overdrawn".

So one weekend being an idiot I got some stuff on my card and then got some money from the machine and basically I didnt realise that I had made myself about £14 pounds overdrawn. Of course 3 days later I get the shitty standard letter teling me this. I phoned up to find out how the system let me do this to be told that it doesnt update over the weekend. With this I suggested that they change their blurb to reflect this or change their system. I was told it was up to me to monitor my account and there was nothing they could do about it. So beware, this also happened to my partner who had got money out on Saturday, left me the card to get some out on Sunday, and when I checked the balance it told me she had more in the account than was true. They closed her account and the nice kind person at the other end accused her of "abusing her account"! Like me she asked why the system doesnt update to stop people going overdrawn and got the same standard answer. We are only human, we all make mistakes and getting an account like this was, I thought, to help people who are not good with money. In this techie age that we live in surely they can sort this sort of thing out?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ziptrev

Same with me with RBS,just a few Quid Overdrawn!

Solution ,

Made an appointment immediately to come in and close account, (in credit next day due to regular payment received)

Result, charges rescinded and automatic £250 overdraft granted to account 'in case it happens again'

Let your money do the walking!

They are desperate for decent accounts, so if it is a proven 1 off , don't be scared to tell em 'sort it or stuff it'

Having said all that, RBS are the best in Town!

------------------

Zippy

steve i couldn't agree less with you!!,somthing i very rarely do.the banks do want to change the system not because they are nice people ,no because it costs them dosh.

on the subject of service i think the present system is terrible,maybe im old fashioned but customers used to mean somthing now they are a way of taking as much as possible from them.we in the bank are driven to greater sales targets all the time,and when people complain and say they will change their bank so what.it may never get back to what it was ,but i hope at least one bank realises that you can only take the p*ss for so long.perhaps i should buy a lake and be happy!!.cheers big al

Guest chesters1

i have been with nat west since 86 it used to be really bad then £20 letters for the least infringement now things are much better ,i pay a little each month for a "pink zone " if i go over that then interest is taken ,but its up to me as long as i watch what goes out then all is ok

Ive got a quicken bank account programme i use that to track of my finances .Ive got all my accounts set up on it i also got a forecast account which i put all outgoing' s&expected income so i can see what money position will in say 3weeks time.I was always paying £30pounds out for going over drawn ie not exactly not having enough in to paY direct debit's resulting getting charged. But since ive been using quicken i haven't had to pay any charges in the3yrs since ive had my computor

------------------

Cheer's Larry

pages.zdnet.com/slymgym/larrysworlds

mailto:larry56@blueyonder.co.uklarry56@blueyonder.co.uk

Guest poledark

Lovely people bankers, I used to run a very tight account with one bank, the ingoings almost exactly matched the outgoings. Trouble was sometimes the deposits were a day or so late, usually due to weekends etc. So I used to get charged £25 for "unauthorised Overdrafts".

Finally getting **** off with this I phoned the bank to complain and they set me up a free overdraft limit of £500. Problem solved.

Question is , why did they not offer this when charging me £25 a time?

Den

Guest phonebush

poledark,

To offer the use of someone else's money would be loan sharking. You must ask to borrow. The fee is regulated. Too blame the banks for fund mismanagement is feeble. (Not attacking your circumstances personally.) Assets that are not yours in the bank - belongs to someone else. Odd lot we are. Consider similar reasoning when angling. We wouldn't stand for such nonsense on the water for a minute. Let me borrow your peg for an hour - no cost to me of course.

Phone

Phone

Guest poledark

Yes, I take your point Phone, it is someone else money. My point was that the free overdraft was a service that should have been offered when the demands for £25 were made.

Here is another side to the coin,...

I also had a "business account with this bank which was rarely used, and to cut a long story short, "someone" in the bank closed the account and took the money in it, no doubt hoping that I had gone out of business and would not notice.

It all got sorted in the end but not a word of apology, indeed they seemed to imply it was my fault for "not checking my statements"!!!!

Den

------------------

poledark ANMC

Ere I've transferred all my credit card debts to my Bank of Scotland card and they wont charge me interest until August, what nice people!

Dan

Guest phonebush

By and large bankers are a stoggie lot. Not much use for them as a group. I once made a similar error. Wrote a check out of the wrong account (one with no money is always going to be the wrong account). In the proper account, the one I intended to use, I had a seven figure AVERAGE balance. The bank bounced the bad check like a rubber ball without appology.

I changed banks. I have banked with the new one for more than 10 years. I'm not sure they know my name. I'm sure they don't know me when I go into the bank. I'm not sure I made any improvement?????

Phone