Stretton Lakes, Leics

Hopey

Hi all, anyone know this place? It is near Rutland Water in Leics. Small coarse fishery with accommodation

Me and my bro are staying there with our other halves for a few days….hoping to escape for a few hours on the bank a couple of times

Couldn’t find loads of info on-line….but there are 4 lakes, one of which is a match like and most info on-line is about that one. Seems full of small carp and seemingly pretty easy. But not much interest in that lake. Ideally hoping for a bit more of a challenge where the fish go a little larger...although to be fair we'd settle for any bend in the rod

So has anyone been and got any info on the other lakes? What’s in them, baits, tactics, swims etc??

We are going in early winter….

Will probably look for snaggy areas and go for perch with worms/maggots on the waggler with one rod.

And target carp on the other rod with a pellet/hemp, meat/corn approach….probably on a feeder set up…

Any tips would be most welcome

tight lines

"The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shape of things, their colours, lights and shades; these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts". BB

• 5 weeks later...

thought I would try again on this thread, as I haven't been to the place yet, but will be going next week.

anyone know anything about it?

mainly will be targeting perch and carp

any info would be great

tight lines

"The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shape of things, their colours, lights and shades; these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts". BB

• 2 weeks later...

Well for anyone who is interested we stayed here in the end

First of all it is fair to say the accommodation is amazing….lovely log cabins with hot tubs.

Lovely part of the world with nice villages, pubs, walks etc

As for the fishing, can’t grumble at all.

As we were with the wives we couldn’t take the micky, so we only had two half days, one morning, one evening. We tried 2 of the 4 lakes (we didn’t try the match lake, which I think is meant to be the easiest. The others were morning interesting looking to us).

Even though we were well into December we caught plenty – roach, rudd, decent perch and a good number of carp up to about 6lb….all on pretty basic conventional tactics, baits etc…carp on ledgered pellet or meat (didn’t go for corn or bread and boilies not allowed), fish a chuck on waggler/maggot, and perch on worms….being winter didn’t need to use too much loosefeed

I reckon you could absolutely smash it in spring / summer

Fishing free for guests; and I think only £5 on a day ticket – bargain really

You wont break any records here, but if you want pretty easy/enjoyable fishing, in a not particularly busy fishery, in a lovely part of the country, with amazing on site accommodation; then you could do much worse.

I would also recommend this place for families who want to take their kids fishing for the first time and guarantee them some action…cracking learners venue