More Illegal Netting

Rapala

Went fishing on Sat a.m. but there was a gillnet there with no marker bouys, I reported it to the EA and fair play to them, they got back to me later that day and took a load of what/where/how details and said they'd report it to the local fisheries inspector.

The local EA area bailiff for that stretch just gave me a follow-up call and provided some info that some users of this forum may find useful;

Basically all the EA bailiff can do is lift a net in an illegal area, but the area where I saw the net was not covered by bylaw restricions (this year) so was in a legal area.

BUT because this net had no marker bouys on it, makes it ILLEGAL so the matter then gets passed onto the local Sea Fisheries Officer who is only allowed to put a warning on it in a waterproof bag saying that it the net is found again without bouys it will be lifted.

When you report a net to the EA, they assess it and where needed pass it onto the SFC (in my case the North Western & North Wales Sea Fisheries Committee at Lancaster) and they get their local bailiffs to check it out. As I understand it, the only time an EA bailiff can disable a net is if it is set in an illegal area.

So - if you see any gillnet with no marker bouys on it it is illegal and needs reporting.

If it has got marker bouys on it chances are it is legal, but could be worth reporting anyway, incase it is in an area where local bylaws restrict netting. It is worth familiarising yourself with netting bylaws of the areas you fish most regularly.

Netting restriction bylaws for North Wales can be found here;

http://www.nwsa.ukf.net/ then click on Conservation and Gill Netting Restrictions. (A gillnet is called a "fixed engine")

The EA number is 0800 807060

North Western & North Wales Sea Fisheries Committee ( Lancaster HQ) O1524 68745 - this number looks one digit too few but it isnt.

The more reports the EA get about nets the better their chances of getting them banned. Its the same as in letter-writing about bass conservation to MPs - at the end of the day all these people make decisions about and listen to are weight of numbers, so its upto everyone to try and do their bit, no matter how small, not just sit on their backsides and moan. I am also told the RSPCA are quietly lobbying away in the background due to the effect these nets have on diving birds, so that could be good for us...

I think that is good service from the EA - apologies if any of these details I've passed on 2nd hand are slightly inaccurate - I'm sure our commercial regulars will point out any irregularities.

Hi Rapala,

Just a pedantic correction.

A 'Fixed Engine' is any device that is fixed (ie it could be a fyke net).

The setting of fixed nets is illegal anywhere, under the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975.

BUT

Byelaws can be made by the local SFC to allow there use in certain areas, at certain times of the year, with certain mesh sizes, etc etc

These byelaws are called enabling byelaws.

Just to complicate matters, nets that aren't fixed (ie drift nets) are usually legal, unless there are byelaws that PROHIBIT their use!!

It can get very confusing for those unfamiliar with byelaws, when looking at the netting byelaws and comparing the enabling byelaws for fixed nets, with the prohibiting byelaws for drift nets.

eg

drift nets not allowed April to October

fixed nets allowed November to March

fixed nets allowed 90mm or greater

drift nets prohibited less than 90mm

It can do your head in, trying to compare the two!!

Then again, drift nets can sometimes get caught up on a groyne or rock (but there's not many CFOs that will fall for that old excuse!!)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi Rapala,

Just a pedantic correction.

A 'Fixed Engine' is any device that is fixed (ie it could be a fyke net).

Tight Lines - leon

Hi Leon,

No problem - if anyone knows, you know.

Re fyke nets - I think all the nets where I fish are called fykin' nets ! ! ! ... or summit like that.

:D:D:D