How come I hate seeing pictures of large dead bass...

Rapala

Thanks for your replies,

I agree I think its down to a sporting thing like Steve C and Stavey said especially with bass mullet tope and smoothounds having respect for your adversary etc. But I havent caught any cod so cant vouch for their sporting qualities tho people who I know have and say they are strong fish.

Never noticed the eye thing tho - I'll check that next time I can....interesting one.

I didn't kill my 1st big bass infact I havent filled any big bass but killed a 5lb'er once a long time ago and although some of it was eaten with in 2 hours and tasted fantastic I regretted it because it should have gone back. Nowadays I know a lot more about it and I will only keep a fish if it wont go back, be it just a 1lb'er or a bigger fish, and it will definately get eaten and as quickly as poss.

I suppose if someone catches a lot of bass then the law of averages says that he will get a few each year that cant go back so they should be the ones he keeps which is a good way to go.

We hear of a fair proportion of big bass that get caught are by novices or lucky cast, classic pass the rod to the wife stuff, and in a lot of cases some people who catch a big bass for the 1st time kill it because its the biggest fish they ever saw and the hunting thing takes over. I suppose most of those that go on to become experienced and accomplished bass anglers get the same thoughts and develop a healthy respect for their quarry...and go a bit nuts.

:help: