Gear for river fishing!

esoxman

Wanting to have ago at river fishing at the moment all I do is lake fishing with 10 foot rod and a 7wt line.

I’m wondering what size rod would suit most rivers (if there is such a rod).

Also what kind of line weight,

I was thinking of a 7ft 6” or 8ft rod with a 4 or 5 line wt.

Will be fishing the Wye, Usk and possible the teifi.

Not sure really what would be best any suggestions grateful.

Wanting to have ago at river fishing at the moment all I do is lake fishing with 10 foot rod and a 7wt line.

I’m wondering what size rod would suit most rivers (if there is such a rod).

Also what kind of line weight,

I was thinking of a 7ft 6” or 8ft rod with a 4 or 5 line wt.

Will be fishing the Wye, Usk and possible the teifi.

Not sure really what would be best any suggestions grateful.

I fished the Usk in May and was advised to use a 5wt rod because of the strong current. The rod I used was my Sage XP 9'-6"#5 which worked very well.

On my local waters in Norfolk which are fairly small (10yards wide approx) I use a Greys 'Streamflex' 7'-6" #3, I have even invested in an Orvis 'Superfine 1oz' 6'-6"#2, this is so light but will still handle a 1.5lb brownie quite easily. My opinion is that you can use any weight rod, but if you fish as light as possible you can present the fly better and you can really feel the fish, when you catch one. By the way I have just started using the Partridge 'Dry & Delicate' fly line, its superb.