Info on Monklands Canal...

canal_addict

Hey guys, new on the forum here...

Anyways, I`m currently fishing the Monklands Canal in Coatbridge - I fished there also when I was younger and caught many of the small Carp/Perch/Roach that had been stocked there in the mid-80s.

I started back there last year after a big break from fishing and had some success (1lb Roach, 15lb Carp, etc), but was just wondering if anyone on here knows any more about it??

I`ve noticed it mentioned in a few threads from years ago, I`m there about once a week and most times I`m fishing it I`m the only guy there !!

I know some fish were supposedly removed from the canal & put in Wychwood pond next to the flats in Townhead, but last year in the summer I seen countless shoals of decent roach/hybrids and some good double-figure Carp going through the spawning rituals.

anyone any good info??

cheers

Scottish Specimen Hunter

fished it myself last year a few times,with some mixed success.caught some carp to about 7 lb,and some nice roach. I probably lost more than a caught,once they got into the weed the hook always came loose.

I used simple float tactics with sweetcorn or bread on the hook on 6lb line,anything to heavy and I could not get a bite.

I also believe that lot of fish were moved to other sites over the last few years,but there seems to be healthy stock of fish still there.I also heard that there is some trout also in the canal that were moved from drumpellier loch.

I will probably give it bash again this year when the weather starts to heat up a bit.

there is no trout in the canal, its just urban myth. i haunt spierswharf up to firhill basin. prety much same tactics as you guys except this winter i took more to throwing huge lures about trying to see what the pike would take. you get the odd good roach to a 1lb, perch to 2lb (rare) on wobbled lobworm, carp to 20lb, and the pike are realy elusive but are there.

as for knowing any more about it, theres been a big construction up at speirswharf building a new gate system and connecting it to pinkston basin, now they are moving up the canal so id keep an eye out cause they totaly devestated my area when they drained it and dug it out. couldnt fish it for half the year, just nothing there at all.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

there is no trout in the canal, its just urban myth. i haunt spierswharf up to firhill basin. prety much same tactics as you guys except this winter i took more to throwing huge lures about trying to see what the pike would take. you get the odd good roach to a 1lb, perch to 2lb (rare) on wobbled lobworm, carp to 20lb, and the pike are realy elusive but are there.

as for knowing any more about it, theres been a big construction up at speirswharf building a new gate system and connecting it to pinkston basin, now they are moving up the canal so id keep an eye out cause they totaly devestated my area when they drained it and dug it out. couldnt fish it for half the year, just nothing there at all.

sorry Andy it was Monklands Canal in Coatbridge, not the Forth & Clyde...

thanks for the info though; as my name suggests I`m up there a few times also !!

a1424 thanks also - yeah think its a water that needs to heat up a bit for sport to get going - I`ve been up with my fishfinder and nothing is really moving about. What p*sses me off is the debris and rubbish you need to contend with in a lot of swims - Up next to the golf course there are 2 cars submerged in 4ft of water !!

Also someone told me that there was a 20lb pike moved there from Johnston Loch in Gartcosh (boat-only trout water), I`ve seen plenty if tiny jacks but no biggies yet tho.

all the best guys

Scottish Specimen Hunter

i have only ever fished the monklands canal around the basin at blairhill,because i dont drive .i am restricted to public transport to get to most places i fish.

i also heard about some large pike in the canal,but again i have never seen anything apart from jacks.

the canal at port dundas is were i started my fishing about 25 years ago,i grew up in sighthill so it was on my doorstep.took me a few years to figure out that i had to change my tactics,and not use a 6 foot boat rod and 25lb line to catch small perch !!!

but i suppose we have to learn by our mistakes of youth.