Help needed

mt1

Hello,

From the north east of england (sea fishing) been intrested in kayak fishing for a while trouble is ive never even been in a canoe. What advice would any of you give re safety and type of kayak for starting out. Thinking of fishing local marks around north east coast.

many thanks in advance

Hello,

From the north east of england (sea fishing) been intrested in kayak fishing for a while trouble is ive never even been in a canoe. What advice would any of you give re safety and type of kayak for starting out. Thinking of fishing local marks around north east coast.

many thanks in advance

Go straight for a fishing kayak and depending on your size the Prowlers are most popular.

Then do not rig up and paddle out for fishing. I spent a long time watching and reading and gathering tips and ideas.

Its far better for the first few trips to go somewhere safe. I spent my first session paddling up and down my local Resevoir where tides, wind and surf wans't a problem.

Then move onto a safe sea location and practice in and out of the surf and launching and landing. purposely fall out in a few feet of water and try you techniques of re entry. Best thing I learnt is dont be in a rush to get your feet in when you launch. Best to sit and dangle your feet while you paddle and keep straight on in the surf. Go sideways and your over!

Second best tip is landing and when coming in through the surf dont even try paddling. Let the surf bring you in and use your paddle as a rudder. Kayak turning left then shove and hold your paddle to the right. It all comes easy but as a beginner like myself you will have a few tumbles.

Safety gear that I would say is a must is PDF, Anchor, VHF, Flares, Compass and a First Aid Kit (the order written is how important I think they figure). I would also say to get a GPRS if you can. Dont try to go with out the correct gear.

Dont know the North East coast but understand it can be very harsh.

:D

Hello,

many thanks in advance

Hi lots of useful information on this site too :

Anglers Afloat log into the message board for more info.

Good luck

Dave

Target fish: Anything!

Thanks for the advice live next to a river so was going to have a go in there before venturing out the have a mess around in the shallows a few times on beach great advice and thanks again!