Off to the Maldives in mid May....

Tatts64

Hello people.

I am new here and have done a brief search through your halls for topics relating to the Maldives. I read in one post that someone was under the impression that shore fishing (possibly) isn't allowed there. Can anyone confirm or deny this please?

Firstly. yes,I am aware that May might not be the best of months to go, but when a combination of "the other half" and work dictating when I can have two weeks off, I go when I can go :)

Although I will be having a few trips out in the local boats, I will be much happier spinning from the shore due to being disabled through injury to my back. The days of rolling about on a boat are few and far between for me these days, I'm afraid :( As such, I really would appreciate confirmation as to whether or not shore fishing is allowed there or not. I don't really want to load up my precious fishing gear, put it through hell and back at the luggage handlers whims and risk even more broken tips etc because of a holiday if it turns out that I am not allowed to fish there in the first place!

Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Andy

To find eternal happiness, live life like a dog!

Hi Andy

I took a telescopic rod and some lures over there about 5 years ago. I'd managed about 5 casts and caught a couple of small unidentified fish, before I got reported to the resort manager by some Germans!!! Shore fishing is most certainly banned from the tourist islands.

We did a couple of boat fishing trips and had wahoo to 15lb, but the crew members insisted on pulling the fish in for you, so it was a total waste of time for even a slightly serious angler.

Dave

Hi Dave and thanks for the reply.

Sorry for the lateness of my response. I am moving house and have no internet connection right now. I have managed to borrow my girlfriends pc for 5 mins to get here.

I have spoken to the resort manager for the Island I am heading to and been told of this too.

I was looking at hiring a boat out there for a few trips, but if I am not going to get to haul my own fish then I think I'll leave my money in my back pocket and look forward to Gambia in 2009!

Thanks again mate

Andy

To find eternal happiness, live life like a dog!