Neyland Pembrokshire

Ian FG

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in the sea angling section and I'm looking for some advice.

I am thinking of taking a holiday let in July in Neyland and I fancy a bit of spinning for mackeral and bass.

Any advice please on where are the best spots I can do this from the shore? What do I need to know about tides? What kind of lures work well? (I'm not really interested in bait fishing) I like to use one lure at a time on light gear. I am only interested in taking a couple of fish at a time for the table.

Any recommended local tackle shops? Do I need a sea rod licence? Or day tickets to get to good fishing spots? If such things exist.

Is there much else to do in Neyland? I like walking and history and pubs/restaurants.

Any advice from anyone would be very welcome.

Ian

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in the sea angling section and I'm looking for some advice.

I am thinking of taking a holiday let in July in Neyland and I fancy a bit of spinning for mackeral and bass.

Any advice please on where are the best spots I can do this from the shore? What do I need to know about tides? What kind of lures work well? (I'm not really interested in bait fishing) I like to use one lure at a time on light gear. I am only interested in taking a couple of fish at a time for the table.

Any recommended local tackle shops? Do I need a sea rod licence? Or day tickets to get to good fishing spots? If such things exist.

Is there much else to do in Neyland? I like walking and history and pubs/restaurants.

Any advice from anyone would be very welcome.

Ian

Your best bet for mackeral and bass in the summer is to explore some of the rock marks around the open sea coast. There are loads of accessible spots all around the coast of the county. I suggest that you get a map and explore.

There are tackle shops in Milford Haven, Pembroke Dock, Haverfordwest and Tenby.

You don't need a licence for fishing in the sea at the moment.

Regarding Neyland, it's central to the county and provides reasonable access to most places, it's not a picture postcard town though. Within the county there are loads of opportunities for walking and the other interests that you list. You could do worse than have a look at the National Park web site, that should give you some ideas.

There are also a few charter boats that are based in the Marina at Neyland if you fancy getting out on the water.

All the best.

Richard.

Thanks for the reply Richard.

I mentioned to my mate (he is Welsh) who owns the holday let that "Neyland is not a picture posrcard town" and asked for a discount!

He got the right hump and all defensive about the delights of Pembrokeshire!

Anway, I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again,

Ian

Thanks for the reply Richard.

I mentioned to my mate (he is Welsh) who owns the holday let that "Neyland is not a picture posrcard town" and asked for a discount!

He got the right hump and all defensive about the delights of Pembrokeshire!

Anway, I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again,

Ian

I'm quite happy to state that Pembrokeshire is the best coastal county in Britiain in terms of scenery and the like.

However I wouldn't say that Neyland is representative of those atributes, if you get my drift :D:D

Rich