Humminbird 565 fitting

drumgerry

Hi all

Hope you don't mind me asking another question while I go about kitting out my Prowler in readiness for her first trip afloat. I'm sure my questions have been asked before but I do look in the archives before asking - honest! :blink:

I'm trying to follow the Anglersafloat Prowler fishfinder installation and conveniently enough I've got myself a Humminbird 565 which is the FF used in the article. But when it comes to the electrics I have no clue what's going on. I have my SLA battery and I've read the Humminbird instructions about installing an inline fuseholder with 1-3 amp fuse. Didn't know what an inline fuseholder was until today! :doh:

I've read and re-read the anglersafloat instructions but I can't make out from the picture what's going on at the wiring stage. The fishfinder I have has a single power cable which splits into two thin wires - one red and one blue - not getting too complicated am I?! But the picture looks like both are connected to a battery connector (can't find them on the Maplins site either!) and then to the blue terminal on the battery. It looks like the red terminal has the inline fuse holder connected to it and the wire from it doesn't seem to be connected to anything. Am I seeing it right?

Any help would be much appreciated! And can anyone tell me where I can get the right battery connectors and the right kind of inline fuseholder?

Jeez - who'd have thought you'd have to be a sparky to fit a fishfinder?! Whatever happened to plug and play?!

Cheers

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

I'm no expert, but I fitted mine and it works :thumbs: so here goes....

Your wires are red and blue. Each wire must attach to the appropriate equivalent on the battery. The battery connection points are most likely red and black, in which case you need to attach red to red and blue to black. So long as red goes to red you can't go wrong with the other wire !

For the red (live) connection you need to add the inline fuse holder. My Ff (Eagle Cuda) came with one, but it seems yours didn't. Its just a plastic holder that contains a fuse. You just connect the red FF wire to one end of the fuse holder and then connect the other end of the fuse holder to a piece of wire, which in turn connects to the red terminal of the battery. The fuse holder will probably come with this second piece of wire attached.

As for the kind of battery connectors required, that will depend on the kind of connection points that the battery has. Mine has spade type connectors, but yours may be different. Ultimately all you're looking for is a metal conneciton to connect wire to battery...must be metal as this completes the circuit. So long as the connection is sufficiently robust it doesn't matter, technically, what kind of connector it is. Remember though, that you will also most likely need to be able to regularly disconnect the battery to remove it from the yak for charging....so don't make the connections to the battery permanent !!

Finally, think carefully about how you fit the transducer. I was going to use the AA method of noodle and vaseline, but decided that, as my yak gets transported upside down and gets stored on its side, that this may cause issues with the vaseline. So, I went for the silicon method, using this to stick the TX to the inside of the hull. Others have had some signal issues with this method, but mine has worked fine from day one. You just need to make sure that there are no air bubbles in the silicon.

I don't know if this explanation is clear. If not I'd be happy to talk you through it. Let me know and I'll pm you my number.

Cheers.

Mike :)

Ignoring the fantastic professional wiring job (didn't have any red & black wire handy)!! this is how you incorporate the inline fuse, and though it may look cr.p, it works and that's all that matters.

post-7219-1180081492_thumb.jpg

Ped (they don't call me sparky for nothing !!)

Thanks so much for the replies guys. You are life savers!! It's much clearer now. I think I know what I need to get connector-wise now as well. Is insulating tape ok to connect the wires Ped? Or can you use some gizmo which connects two lengths of wire (without having to solder preferably as that's another thing I don't have a clue about!).

Thanks again. BTW Mike might just take you up on your offer of a walk through if I really struggle. Should hopefully be ok now. Will report back.

Cheers

Gerry

I connected the wires on mine using connector blocks, then taped over them, but just taping the wires together should be ok.

You shouldn't need to do any soldering.

Good luck.

Mike