Canal fishing advice

benhben

Hi. I want to do some fishing along Lancaster Canal. I know a couple of Basins which are likely to hold some bream, perch and the usual course fish. What I dont know is what rigs are best to use? Float fish or simple Ledgering?

Also the biggest thing that Im not confident with is how to bait up the swim? Do Canal anglers lay down groundbait along time prior to fishing, or just upon arrival. Or is it just as effective to just bung out a worm or something and let the fish find it?

Alot of questions I know but help would be apprechated.

Ben

• 3 weeks later...
Hi. I want to do some fishing along Lancaster Canal. I know a couple of Basins which are likely to hold some bream, perch and the usual course fish. What I dont know is what rigs are best to use? Float fish or simple Ledgering?

Also the biggest thing that Im not confident with is how to bait up the swim? Do Canal anglers lay down groundbait along time prior to fishing, or just upon arrival. Or is it just as effective to just bung out a worm or something and let the fish find it?

Alot of questions I know but help would be apprechated.

Ben

Hi Ben, will try to answer all your questions! Firstly, is your stretch of desired canal busy with boat traffic? If so, bait up on arrival prior to setting up only as bait put down before that will have been washed away. A couple of small balls of groundbait with some loosefeed (maggots, worm, hemp or sweetcorn) is usually enough. I have found doing this produces good early results with continued little and often feeding to keep the fish interested throughout my session. As regards rigs, if the water you are fishing is 'gin clear' ie clearwater, ledgering will only spook the fish. Float fishing is your best option using as light a float as you can get away with. Too light a float and hook length will only result in lost 'bigger fish' so I find it's best to fish slightly over heavy. I use locking shot at the float base with one dropper shot about 4 inches from the hook to get the bait down naturally, hope this is of help!