sea fishing uestion

big adam

Merry christmas everyone and a happy new year.

Now i live up in whitehaven and was just wondering if anyone up in cumbria have caught any decent cod and on what bait and where. Just need some help as its my first cod season and also till what time of the year do you catch them???

Merry Xmas and a happy new year Big adam

there has been plenty of Cod from the Cumbrian beaches, from silecroft up to grasslot, the beaches that seem to be fishing well are from Drigg to black bank @ workington, i personelly fish from Netherton to seamill with Coulderton beach being my main fishing venue, and have had a great year on the Cod with a few good winter Bass thrown in.

there hasnt been many big ones caught but i have heard of the odd 16lb caught, not like the old days when these would appear regulary with a couple of really big ones showning up (25 - 30lb) but who knows maybe in a few years the little ones now maybe the big ones in the future.

i havent been able to hit the double figure amount of Cod caught in a session but there have been storys of lads catching 10-20 small 2lb to 8lb cod in one session, again these have been south of St Bees.

i would try down there, fishing Coulderton ( howman scar) south to netherton station on a spring low tide, netherton to sellafield you can fish low or high tides and Drigg scar on a spring low tide, these have all been fishing well with Lug/mussel, Squid/mussel, Crab, and sand eel / lug, using pully rigs.

the Cod normally leave us around late february to early march, but who knows as its been such a good year!!!!

hope this has been helpful and i hope you have a good winter on the cumbrian cod.