Back To Basics

TrevBoy

I went to an antiques fair several weeks back and bought an old centrepin for £20. I read somewhere that putting braid on it was a good idea as you can get more line on it so I did.

It sat in my tackle box ignored for all this time.

A couple of weeks ago I got bored while I was fishing (which in itself it very odd!) so I setup the centrepin with a 4lb hooklength, size 10 hook and a weighted float. I saw a spot under a small wooden bridge where there was lots of activity...rolling, bubbles, etc. I put some luncheon meat on the hook, crept over to the spot and plonked it in.

Ten seconds later I had an 8lb Mirror.

After several more carp, barbel (seemed odd for a stillwater) and tench. I went home with a huge grin on my face.

I felt like a child again hunting for minnows with rod and line nicked from my brother. I know I must have looked like a plonker to the others around me but I bloody loved it!

It never hurts to go back to basics and I have been back there again but was not as successful.

Still had a good time though.

I've gone back to my roots, from doing 24hrs aweek sitting behind 3 rods, to doing the old couple of hours with the stick float and pin ( this was due to being a dad ).

Cant believe how much fun this can be, it's like starting fishing again.

Best fish of 06-07 season was a 35lb common. best fish of 07-08 season, a 10oz Dace.

Which fish do you think put the biggest smile on my face ?

Given up my carp ticket, joined LAA and come the 16th i will be running my stick down at Britford.

Cant wait for the glorious 16th, have'nt been so excitied since i was a young nipper.

:D