The "Mackerel Kings" are not so clever now!

Dougie

After a weekend of travelling about trying to get some sport from marks never tryed before, we ended back on the breakwater at Burntisland. The peir was full of the "experts", but to my shock they were struggling to catch!! Seems like the big shoal that has been drifting in and out of the shore at Burntisland may be starting to show signs of moveing out of the area, with only the odd fish left behind like usual for the summer there. We were there for the flood, and i only seen them catch 19 between 8 hardy soles crammed onto the peir like a tin of sardines, and they didnt look amused!!! HO HO HO... Not been back to see if they are catching again.

Had a go for the mackies on the fly of the breakwater, but as i said there did not seem to be the amount of fish around like there has been for the last three weeks, so i failed in my mission to get one on the fly! But...Had a couple of wrasse on the float, plus a red rock around about 4lb and a couple of mackies when i tryed further out, so was a decent day in the end!

Anyone been out Sunday or Monday to confirm my theory that they are starting to disperse from that area? Anyone at Methil over the weekend, was it the same there?

I popped down to Granton last Wednesday for an hour or so after work with my spinning gear. There were still loads of mackerel about. The experts were there as usual hauling them in 6 at a time!

Not sure what the situation is this week though. Maybe see tomorrow as I have an hour or two after work to kill.

I avoided fishing for Mackerel on Saturday as to be honest it gets boring pretty quickly where they are in in huge numbers. I ended up at Skateraw Harbour (Torness Inflow) for a change. I was trying primarily for Wrasse but had no luck - it's usually alright for them but there you go. I did manage a codling, quite a few coalfish and a some nice wee dabs. All in all an enjoyable afternoon and not a 'Mackerel King' in sight

Dougie:

is that the helipad or is it along the other side of the beach?

It's the helipad mate although I usually fish from the rocks between the helipad and the bridge over the inflow. Can be quite a tackle graveyard in places though. A nice quiet spot to fish usually.

yeah i fish the helipad a lot to, not been this year yet, as you always fear that someone is going to be there and you will get squeezed out..I think its one of the best marks around that area, the first time we fished it two years ago we had a mega session. We fished evening into darkenss,and just as the sun was going down the sea went flat calm, and there were fish getting chassed everywhere on the surface. You cast out a set of jigs and you were getting 1-2lb pollack 3-4 on every retrieve. It was the best session i have ever had whilst sea fishing. I think i ended up with something like 50-60 pollack all between 1-2lb with the odd mackerel and suicidle coalie mixed in. We physically had to stop ourselves from carrying on fishing, as it was about 12am pitch black and we still had an hours drive home...lol Its never lived up to that day ever again, but everytime we go back you always get a rake of fish. Its great fun. Have looked at trying to get of the dollies before with the float, but it was a struggle climbing down and that was with no kit. The last time i was there i climbed down and i seen a lot of fish just sitting of the dollies (wrasse), oneday i will have a crack at climbing down!! but only on the high water i think!!

do you get many fish of the rocks at all? i take it float plays a big part there, we have looked at it, but very briefly cause we lost a lot of tackle as you said...what sort of species are you getting there?

From the rocks before the helipad I've got Pollack, Coalie, Mackerel, Wrasse, Codling and Dab. Pretty much the same as you get from the helipad - I think the reason I fish the rocks is because there's way more room if other anglers turn up. I usually float fish with one rod and have another put out at distance. I have lost a fair amount of tackle there but that's just the way it is - a rotten bottom rig certainly helps.

The ground close in is very rough but it smooths out quite well further out. You need to be careful on the retrieve though to avoid snagging.

I've looked at the dollies myself mate but never quite ventured down. I tried one day with my kit and gave up. It's a brave man who climbs down there with his gear! Maybe someday!

yeah the dollies does look very temptimng, you just know there is gonna be a lot of fish sitting in all the gaps between them. Guys i have spoke to say you get good wrasse of them, and i would think you would get lots of other stuff to. I have watched guys climbing down and they made it look easy, so im sure there is probably a way down that is easier than the bits i looked at getting down, so i will try again at somepoint. Maybe have to try the rocks next time i get over there as they do look dead fishy like the dollies, but think i will stick it out with the float gear.