Anyone tried an Islander Strike'yak?

Rick Jones

Hi all, I am hoping to pick up a Kayak this month for fishing in among the reefs around Jersey where I live.

I had narrowed it to the OK prowler 13 and the Moken from Feelfree, both of which are available locally for a good price.

However, the place I found those two also has one of these "Strike" Islanders, a pontoon hull, purpose built fishing kayak, and it's some £100 cheaper.

The thing is all I can find online is places selling them, and the manufacturers page....here;

http://www.islandersitontops.com/strike.htm

It seems really well specced, comes with a scotty rodholder, a decent rod hatch with internal bag, a good tankwell and a nice seat in the price too.

It has one large central scupper, with a bung on a leash, I've never seen that on other kayaks.

From researching online, it seems to share alot of design features with the Wilderness systems "Ride 135", and I think it may be a similar moulding.

The thing is, I can't find anyone who seems to be using/has tried one, and I wonder if there is a reason for this.

Anyone know anything, good or bad?

Cheers,

Rick

• 4 months later...

Not sure if you are still after some info on this yak. I have one now for a couple of months, mainly using it on Scottish sea lochs.

Plus points - very stable, i can even stand and fish from it.

It will take some knocks and still not sink.

Bad points - its very slow compared to a scupper pro or dorado. Caught in a wind you can end up going backwards as you are sitting higher above the water. Fishing out at sea you need to really understand your weather and tide conditions as this kayak is unforgiving to a novice.

I like this kayak as i use it as a photographic platform and offers me what i need. But remember , stability is not everything.