New Yak

Guest Flybynight

FBN -- fishing on the Thames in Central London could be interesting. Lots of boat traffic there and diesel in the water but not as polluted as it was a 100 years ago.

I wonder if you'd get moved on if you tried a mark outside the MI5 building or the Houses Of Parliament. I bet all the fish are there. :D:D

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Flybynight

Cheers every one - loads of ideas there. Yakity - that is about as good a suggestion as I can get for the rigging. I'll have a go tonight, and order tomorrow then.

For the fishing in London, I walked passed a load of old blokes with rods out into the Thames on the South Bank last week. No idea what they were after, but as there are supposed to be bass up to Teddington loch, then it could have been anything. I could get out in the Yak, and tie up to the HMS whatever it's called by Tower Bridge perhaps? They'd love that I saw an article last night on the local BBC news - apparently they have reintroduced salmon parr into the River Wandle in S London. They reckon its all pretty clean now. Doesn't look it - but I suppose that's not the point.

Starvin - I have indeed been all over the Rhynobar site. It's pretty inspirational... I love his pics. I promised the wife I'd be hauling in fish like that if she let me get the Yak. Good job she's had some experience of my catch predictions in the past then... And yes, it would be great to meet and fish sometime (I work in the city by the way, by Leadenhall, which would be easy for the Thames of a lunch time then :) ) I am trying to find a saturday or sunday in the next couple of months when I can get away. Where were you thinking of? Brighton? Portsmouth? Bournemouth? I am well up for a really early start one weekend and then back sometime mid afternoon perhaps? I could sell that to the wife I think...

Yakity - do you clip your rod/reel onto anything? I was wondering about putting a clip/line from my reel onto something on the yak. I can really see myself dropping kit over the side. I did see someone suggesting a bit of foam in the butt as well...maybe that would be as good?

Last question: do you all yak in a wetsuit? I think I will unless there are good reasons not to...

OK - I'll let you all know how I get on, and if I can work out how to charge my new camera I might even get a pic up when I finally get the yak. Cheers

FBN

Portsmouth area is good for me or we could pop down to Bournmouth and see Speciman, might even get yakity to come up.

Foam in the Butt...sure there are some people around London that could help you with that.

Rod holder wise, I'm sure that Artfulfisher has a Scotty holder (Ocean Kayak supplied) mounted up front of his Malibu II, I believe there is a slot for it, will try and find out.

OK do a paddle rod clip as well, or alternatively you can fix some bungee cord in a loop between loop eyes and use a hook shaped fitting to secure, have a look at the Prowler 13 for details.

A wetsuit is fine for the summer months, long john style being best, worn with a Cag in chillier conditions, full wetsuits can work depending on fit around shoulders and more importantly under the arm pits.

There are some excellent paddle pants available now, in bib and brace or trouser styles, these can be worn all year round with a suitable Cag.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Guest Flybynight

OK Starvin - that sounds great. I'll have a look at the diary with the wife and PM you with a few possible dates if I may. We could make it a south coast Yak rally if others were keen. Might get someone who had some hot spots to take us to as well... :)

Cheers

FBN

Lets try and keep it informal. Let me know the dates that you are available and we can go from there, I'm off touring the South Devon Coast during the first week of June... look out Yakity... with the wife, kids and a yak so those are the only no, no's for me at the moment.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

I'm in Saundersfoot around then I believe.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Hi f.b.n.

Hope this pic helps you out, bit more detail. :)

The pipes are for trolling with the rods mainly, but no reason why you cant angle yours differently to suit you, and use them as rod holders.

The crate doubles as a kit store too, tackle etc.

Its only pipe and glue, and costs next to nothing to make.

xtrig13.jpg