Solution anyone?

OK now I've got someone's attention, there's been much posted about the differences between RSA and the commercial sector, and many a discussion on the pro's and con's of conservation and a few anglers fighting for the cause of all sea anglers.

Postee's continuously state that they are right because they have experienced such and such a situation, be it commercial or RSA, and as time moves on neither sector comes any closer to at least trying to understand the issues that affect or impact the 'opposition' (which is not the best use of the word - but what the hell).

So when do we stop the bickering, the childish name calling, the dummy spitting, arrogance and all the other attitudes that persist in preventing each sector from holding dialogue that will at least allow for a better understanding of each others plight. Yes I admit that there are those on each side that cannot and will not be able to sit at the same table (and a few that should never be invited - tha nose!!!!!), however, there should come a point whereby each sector (or representatives) need to enter dialogue, although, there are some basic principles that need to be ironed out first.

What are sea anglers major problems with the commercial sector;

Poor practice; that has resulted in a lack in availability of fish to the RSA sector and those that are present are generally small, well yes thats the current state of the stock, but is this as a result of practices carried out many years ago, and ones which are generally not employed today or is the commercial sector still unable to learn from the folly of the past.

The commercial sector argue, that they are trying to make a living (and why not), that there are plenty of fish out there if they are allowed to catch them, and where stocks are poorly represented its due to environmental affects such as sea temperature rise or poor management through the CFP (or in the case of the UK a bias towards EU member states or aganst the UK fisherman).

We live in a democracy that states everyone is entitled to earn a living as they see fit, and make no bones, fishing is not an easy occupation by any stretch of the imagination.

What are the problems that the commercial sector has with RSA's;

Interference, how can a man who works all week shoreside, then goes sea angling on a weekend or evening, as a hobby, dictate to someone else on what they can and can't do. Anglers have a free rein to keep what they catch, they aren't licensed, they don't pay to go fishing and if they do have a good day they usually sell it to the local pub or restaraunt.

Sea anglers usually respond that they pay for gear or boat space, so its not free, it costs them quite alot depending on location and whether they are on a boat or fron the shore. Those that provide the services are legitimately employed within the sector, and contribute significantly to local economies, and an extremely small minority try to sell on fish.

And so on, etc.

Therefore the two sectors keep banging heads and getting nowhere.

What I'd like to achieve is at least a sensible understanding of where each group stands (as if it wasn't already clear), but more than that, to see if there is any common ground, in which the two sectors can move forward.

So just as a test, I've set up two separate threads relating to the question below, but each thread should only have responses from the individual sectors, in other words if you are an angler only respond on the angling thread, and visa versa commercials. The aim is to have a series of explainations from each sector on the same topic in relation to a specific question without interferance from the opposition (no winding each other up), provided the modernators (sorry switched into Yorkshire language for a moment - yeah right!!!!) are in agreement.

The question I want to ask is; ' Are fish stocks in significant decline around the UK coast, if so, what is the reason, if you believe that they are not, why not'. It might be a good idea to put forward a reasoned view as opposed to 'cos I say so' or 'I caught loads last week' or 'I've been fishing twice this week and never saw a fish'.

An interesting shift from the usual posts or bickering, you might have to think a bit before you post, its not a political or conservation post, just something to test your brain matter and hopefully get a few opposites thinking more about the bigger picture.

Cheers

Doc

Hey Doc, 'whats up' :lol: You have got it down nice and clear, wont be long befor the muddy water come along. Personaly, I think there is an 'I like to argue' problem, an 'only I'm right' problem, feet touch the ground ocasionaly, but generaly heads are in the clouds and it rains dummies and pram toyes. If only every one saw things as clearly as you :D This post alone may get things going :boxing:

:ph34r:

good post Doc! lets here more from you!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!