Quick Release Anchor vDeux

SpeciMan

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i have made my trolley system today and all the bits are in the post for this type of anchor system.

the anchor will sit close from the stern, the picture looks like its further away than it actually is but its only 8":

aa1d2783.jpg

6" from the bow:

7bc30910.jpg

to lock the trolley system down i will jam it under one of my paddle straps:

715662da.jpg

clamcleat:

0a6a703e.jpg

i have a small clamcleat just in front of the footrest, when anchoring from the bow the rope will just go over the top when anchoring from the stern it will loop back from the footrest track so i only needed to use one cleat. The trolley was very easy to do, i used 2 pad eyes and 4 rivets that i ordered from here and were delivered within a week and cost less than the same rivets sent from the uk. I used a little sikaflex in each of the holes and under the pad eyes just to make sure.

the system on my boat was very easy to do as it naturally sits below the carry handles and pulls easily from aft to bow, just eager now to get it on the wqater and give it a try but i am waiting for some floating rope to turn up as neither of our chandlers stock this, nor do they stock stainless rings or the rope floats, for a seaside town with a working harbour ilfracombe sucks for components!

Edited by cannonfodder

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Specimen

Just a quick question ref connecting up, I dont have a clam cleat fitted yet but followed you design thank you the pics really helped can I not clip the ring onto the caribiner on the anchor trolley as if need quick release its only a quick unclip of caribiner ?

best regards

Adam

Hi Adam

Unclipping your line from a carabiner can take a bit longer than you might think. Those extra seconds could be enough for Mr Powerboater to hit the kayak. Also if you're anchored in strong current with moderate swell you can put your kayak broadside to the conditions (more dodgy) as the carabiner is pulled mid ship when you're unclipping. By all means do as you suggest for the moment (being aware of conditions) and then change over to quick release when you have a clam cleat fitted. It's when you have a potential incident that the importance of a safer anchoring system hits home. I doubt you will be the only one here not using quick release. As well as the safety aspect, quick release can help save your anchor, chain warp and perhaps you're anchor trolley - you don't have to cut loose in an emergency and can go back for it when its safe to do so.

Simon

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow