Wreck Netters

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Old Man of the Sea,

I think one of the problems commercial fishermen face today is how they are regarded by the general public.

Ther are good and bad in all walks of life but when it has an enviromental impact i.e. dolphins being caught up in pair trawls it does become a national issue whether correct or not. It also reflects badly on anyone who goes to sea to fish.

I think we as anglers with a better knowledge of the sea take a more sensible view and realise not all commercials are tarred with the same brush.

My major gripe is with gill nets and the reason is that high percentage of gill netters not only destroy our angling but also inshore fishing stocks. The sort of thing I detest is like a local gentalman who retired from the police force on a good pension who took up gill netting out what can only be called greed. There was a photo of him a while back rolling around amongst a huge bass haul and being treated as something of a local hero by the local press.

It is fair to say that most of the gill netting in this area is carried out by part-timers often selling on the black market and quite often signed on the dole.

I would welcome an alliance between full time commercials who derive their income soley from the sea. I have a lot of respect for people like Wurzle who from what I have read of his postings has a respect for the sea even if this is tainted slightly by his views on how good anglers are at catching fish.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Omots said; Hi Stavey,

I am in full agreement with your point of commercial fishermen and anglers trying to find common ground.

I am new to this forum, but my impression is that there are some genuinely concerned good people on it – and some very intelligent ones too. Do you think there is any value in finding out their views on this subject? Should another thread be opened to find this out, or is there another way?

Over to you!

Why not old man of the sea, i dont see any problems with opening another thread and getting everyone's opinion on it, after all that is what this marvelous forum is all about.

Ok i will start a thread with an idea i have been thinking about lately, how many reply and how long it lasts will soon tell what things are possible? good or bad, see you there.......

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly