Breathable Waders

Guest DLF

Having read the earlier topic about this subject, I have decided to invest in a pair of breathable waders.

As this represents a possible large cash outlay I want to make sure that I get it right. I have been warned off certain brands by people who have had bad experiences with them.

There are quite a few brands to chose from so would like to know what people are using and what they think of them, if finances permit I would like a pair of Simms does anyone have a pair? what are they like?

I am also wondering what is the best sole to have for a wading boot, I am primarily wading rivers with a gravel and sand bottom, but when walking on wet grass I have had problems with felt soles, is a felt/studd combination the best under these circumstances?

Guest Alan Roe

I have a pair of the Leeda dragonfly breathable waders ad thus far they have been great.

You may well find that the felt and studs combination is about the best combination you can go for though Quite honestly there really is no perfect combination and depending on the ground you are covering you ewill have to be careful!

Guest Richard L

I use the Simms lightweight and cannot fault them. If money is no object then go for the Simms Guideweight. Also worth checking out are the Vision, Dan Bailey and Orvis offerings.

With regard to soles I currently use felt soles with a small number of studs in, although Vision have now produced a boot with a combination of felt and cleated soles which look very good.

Avoid Scierra breathables - they tend to do a passable imitation of a sieve!

R

Thanks Richard

I think that the choice will be the Simms. (Ouch!) I have looked at the Dan Baileys which seem ok, but I don't know of anyone who has experience of them. You are not the only one to comment on the Scierra's.

I will probably do the same as you regarding the boots, felt with a few studds.