Fly casting

Guest hoppy

Guest hoppy

Hi, the wife and I, are going down to derbyshire in july, for a couple weeks fishing holiday, (coarse of course), but on the site is a couple of trout pool/lakes, I fancy I might have a go at fly fishing for trout, but the problem is, I've never cast a fly-line before. Am I going to get myself into a tangle, Posted Image is there a knack to casting? it looks quite difficult to me, or will I get away with conventional float casting technique? Mind you, I'll keep well away from other fly fishermen, I would'nt want to spoil thier day. Posted Image

Cheers... "Potential fluff chucker" Posted Image

...hoppy

------------------

been there done that

Guest Simon Newbould

Hi Hoppy,

Blimey - a text description of fly casting's gonna be difficult....!!

I'll have a go but I really would recommend either finding a friendly "fluff chucker" to show you the basics or buy a book and practice in the garden...

1st - Wear some protective headgear! I'm not joking, when you first start casting a fly you WILL whack yourself in the back of the head.... a fly in the ear bloody hurts I cna tell you....

Anyway - forget all you know about casting in the conventional style... think of casting the fly as a bit like gaining momemtum on a swing...you know, swing your legs back on the back swing and swing your legs forward on the forward swing?

Of course, you won't be swinging your legs but it's the same principle...

Assuming your right handed, hold the rod in your right hand RELAX, strip off some line from the real with your left hand, hold the line in your left hand just below the rod....

Think of the rod as an extension of your right forearm and imagine that your wrist is locked.... start with the rod parallel to the ground, then at the same time as pulling the line down (through the rings of the rod) quickly but smoothly raise your arm to 90 degrees, the rod will bend and the line will stream out behind you..........

hmmm, this is REALLY hard to describe and I'm not sure I'm doing it justice....I think you really do need a quick half hour's personal tuition to show you the basics... sorry mate....

Simon

Guest hoppy

Well it's a start Simon, thanx. Posted Image

I'm not sure, but I think there may be someone on site to show me the "ropes" so to speak, if not, I'll ask around.

Cheers...hoppy Posted Image

------------------

been there done that

Guest Umber

Hoppy

If you go to the Fishing in Wales site there is a very short video on the overhead cast that may give you the basic idea.Also there are some animations of casting on several flyfishing sites on the net. Nothing beats one to one help though. Once you are hooked invest in a couple of lessons its well worth it.

------------------

Umber

Guest hoppy

Thanx, Umber, I've just had a browse on the wales sites,the vid looks well and some other sites are very informative too, Posted Image

grand stuff

cheers...hoppy. Posted Image

------------------

been there done that

Guest framey

the most important thing is no matter how good or bad you think you are is wear some shades gotta keep your eyes

Guest fisherman

Hi Umber,

What is the web site for that fishing in wales. My wife is trying to learn to fly-fish and wants a look at it.

Cheers

Dave

Guest fisherman

Found it. Any other sites we could look at on how to learn how to fly fish would be appreciated. Espescially if they have short video clips. Thanks

Dave

Guest hoppy

Originally posted by fisherman:

Hi Umber,

What is the web site for that fishing in wales. My wife is trying to learn to fly-fish and wants a look at it.

Cheers

Dave

Hello Dave, hoppy here, I've had a look at the welsh site you're looking for,try it. http://www.fishing-in-wales.com/index.htm

some useful stuff on there. Posted Image

good luck...hoppy

------------------

been there done that

Guest fisherman

Cheers Hoppy,

Didnt know it was so easy to tie knots in a leader Posted Image

Good fun this though, trying to fly fish that is.

Must get there one day before my better half starts taking the mick.

Dave