Help...I'm useless.

Guest phil dean

Guest phil dean

Ok got rod, (Diawa 8'6" WF99 cork handle...very nice)

got reel, rimfly, does the job free gift from Nick, thanks nick

Got line (came with reel) and backing (ditto)

Have attached backing to real using something last seen in Mexico and known as a man trap (hollow bit that catches onto line and goes tighter the more it's pulled.

So how do I attach the fly line to my Virage hooklength (wrong term probably)

There is no loop on the end of the line, do I tie a hitch in the fly line and join the fluorocarbon with a uni knot or what????

Alan, Nick, Spider.....help.

Guest Spiderfan

Hi Phil,

My 'standard' leader set up comprises 4' of 10lb b/s mono, 4' of 6lb b/s fluorocarbon and 4' of 4lb b/s fluorocarbon joined together using 4-turn water knots. Though the individual lengths can be varied, try to keep the ratios the same in order to achieve a good, balanced turn over.

Next, get hold of some braided leader loops from your local tackle shop, they come in packets of 3 for about a quid. Attach the loop to the end of your flyline (they come with instructions so I won't try to explain it here) making sure the flyline is inserted right up to the rear of the loop and add a drop of superglue for additional security.

Then, tie the leader to the loop using a 4-turn tucked blood knot. Add droppers (or use the downward pointing tag ends of the earlier knots) if fishing a team, using the same 4-turn water knot as required, add flies and go fish.

You could tie a loop on the end of the leader but the problem using loop to loop, is that you create a hinge which inhibits turn over.

Posted Image

Guest phil dean

I knew that one of you would help, I borrowed my mates real last time, everything set up....so much less hastle (but dull) thanks for the lesson.

Guest Alan Roe

Phil ...as previously offered get yer backside over here and I will sort all your problems out..

Cheers

Alan

Guest phil dean

the offers fine, now find somewhare ya can fish Posted Image

on honeymoon next week so it'll be the beginning of july before I have any time.....but I'll come over asap.

thanks for the offer (again)

phil