Flys and Fly Rods

Guest TheDacer

Guest TheDacer

Following on from other topics: Has anyone got any recommendations for cheap/basic fly rods and equipment?

Ideally for Rivers rather than Stillwaters and mostly for the smaller coarse fish such as Grayling, Dace, Rudd and smaller Chub. (But also for the odd small Brown Trout)

What sort of lines, leader and reels are best?

What is the easiest method of casting?

And what are the better patterns of fly for these fish and conditions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'll move this to the Game Fishing forum, I think you'll get a better response from there Posted Image

------------------

John S

john@go-fishing.co.uk

ANMC Wossname - Get the best out of fishing, join today.

Originally posted by TheDacer:

Following on from other topics: Has anyone got any recommendations for cheap/basic fly rods and equipment?

Ideally for Rivers rather than Stillwaters and mostly for the smaller coarse fish such as Grayling, Dace, Rudd and smaller Chub.  (But also for the odd small Brown Trout)

What sort of lines, leader and reels are best?

What is the easiest method of casting?

And what are the better patterns of fly for these fish and conditions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dacer,

To answer this would take a huge book. HoweverI will try and put you on the right track IMO.

Under the assumption that you would be fishing small rivers then a rod of 8'6" to 9' with an AFTM of 5wt line is suitable.

If you are new to fly fishing the the rod action is v,important should be a through action as this is more forgiving for the tryo than one that has a tip action.

Reels- well all they do is hold the line so cheap & cheerful is best.

Lines - a double taper which match's the rod - in this case a 5wt.

Leaders again a subject of a book, I would recommend that the overall length should not be greater than 9' including the tippet.

The mechanics of a leader is to transmit the power/effort of the cast smoothly to the fly, therefore the leader should taper in dia. evenly from butt (the bit nearest the fly line) to the tip. If you are aquireing a5wt rod, in the early days of your flyfishing apprenticeship, use a tippet ( the bit the fly is tied to) which match's the line ie 5wt = 5lb bs, 6wt = 6lb bs etc.

I would recommend that you take a lesson or two in casting from a recognised teacher ie someone who is a qualified APGAI or similar, this will stop you adopting bad casting habits from the outset.

As for patterns , for every water you fish there are patterns which are alledged to be superior to any other, so ask the local anglers, in the majority thay will set you on the right path and probably give you freebie patterns, ones that will catch fish.

I hope this helps, If I can help you in any way just drop me an email.

Cheers

Duncan

[This message has been edited by Duncan (edited 22 November 2001).]

Guest TheDacer

Cheers Duncan. that's just the sort of advice I was looking for!

I'll have a look around some tackle shops/sites as soon as I get the chance..

Guest Spiderfan

Hi Dacer,

I'd tend to go a little lighter than Duncan, with a 3 or 4 weight rod no longer than 8', 7' 6" even better, as most of the time you'd only be casting a very short line around near-bankside eddies and bushes with very little casting room.

If fishing dries for dace and rudd, I'd shorten the leader to 4' or 5' using fine 2lb b/s tippets and 18s and 20s black gnats (simple PT herl bodies and a black hackle, trimmed underneath).

------------------

Fan of Spiders

Hi Dacer,

Following on from what Duncan and Spider have said, take a look at ABU's range of fly rods or Daiwa, both of which offer cheap but good quality tackle, although I'm not sure that you will be able to buy a 3wt rod cheaply as these tend to be made by the more "prestigious" companies.

As far as reels are concerned I would go for something cheap with more than 1 spool, Shakespeare do 1 for about £17 with 3 spools, after all as far as I am concerned it just holds the line!

When it comes to lines buy the best floater and intermediate that you can afford but if you want a sinker take a look at the mill ends, such as the ones sold by Mullarkey's of Burton on Trent, the best £3.50 you will ever spend!

Hope this helps.

Alan.......

Guest Cranfield

Dacer, You have been given some sound advice,I would just add the word "perseverence".

It is easier to cast a float than a fly line.

You will certainly get more bites fishing bait than flies.

Fly casting is more tiring.

But the great feeling when you succeed, having persevered, is very rewarding.

I,m not sure what the angling equivalent to "another string to your bow" is, but you,re going to have one.

Good luck.