Hook Sizes

Guest Spiderfan

Guest Spiderfan

I come from a carp background where size 6 hooks appear to be the norm and I would suppose 4s and 2s are used quite often, along with the occasional 8 or an even rarer 10.

When I first started flyfishing a few years ago, I used 10s and 12s more often than not but I now tend to prefer a ‘standard’ 14 or 16, and I’m even tempted to have a go with some 18s and 20s (spiders/buzzers/emergers).

The thing is, I don’t really know why or, indeed, if I really need to use smaller hooks. My catch rate has improved over the last 12 months, though that may have a lot more to do with my experience/knowledge/technique getting better rather than the smaller size of flies I now find myself using. Or it may be that, as my flytying skills have improved, I find I can tie the same pattern detail on smaller hooks. All the better, in my mind, to produce more imitative creations as even a 26 or 28 fly could be a giant amongst some naturals.

Or is it simply a ‘lure’ versus ‘fly’ thing?

What size hooks do you generally use, and what benefits do you see, if any, in going down a size or three?

------------------

Fan of Spiders

Guest Vagabond

American fly fishers use quite tiny hooks - down to 28 or so.

I have seen it suggested that USA hook sizes differ from ours - and certainly hook size differs from maker to maker.

However, John Geirach in his recent book "Good Flies and How they got that way" talks about using Mustad hooks, so presumably he has the same range of sizes available as we do.

On my next vist to the States, I'll make a point of laying hands on a few of their smaller patterns to compare with what we use.

There is no doubt that big fish will take small flies. However, small flies require thinner tippets (and for a given tippet material that means weaker), and of course a smaller hook means a hook pull is that much more likely.

So you need to play the fish that much more carefully. That means he makes longer and more runs, so the "risk period" of escape is increased, as well as the likelihood of his reaching a a snag or weedbed.

Increased fighting time will also wear the hookhold, increasing another cause of hook pull.

So yes, using small flies often means more takes, but there is, in fishing as in other spheres, no such thing as a free lunch.

------------------

Vagabond

Dear All

I tend towards being an impressionist rather than a realist when I tie flies, i.e. the fly/nymph is roughly the correct shape, size and colour to the natural than an exact copy.

The vast majority of flies/nymphs that inhabit trout/grayling waters have a body length less than 6mm so if you measure hook shank lengths you will find that on average we tend to fish flies/nymphs one or two sizes too large.

If I can recommend one book that opened my eyes to small flies, it has to be “Micropatterns – Tying and fishing the small fly” by Darrel Martin.

This work covers everything you want to know about small patterns but didn’t know were to ask.

From pattern sizes and how to tie them, an extensive section on hook selection, tackle selection for fishing small flies including an in-depth piece on how to make your own furled leaders the book is, for me, a gold mine of very useful and practical info.

As Darrel spent a lot of time in the UK its also very relevant to UK fishing.

Best book on the subject; buy it you will not be disappointed.

[ 17 February 2002, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Duncan ]