NEW SPIDERWIRE

Ken L

quote:

Originally posted by Ken L:

Whatever the empirical data may suggest about stretch, the feel and power transmision on the strike when using non-stretch lines wins hands down over mono when lure fishing with relativly short rods.

Ken,

To which empirical data are you referring? I'd be very interested to know.

Indeed, if you mean what I think you mean, I wonder if you do actually mean empirical according to its true definition :confused:

Whatever the data, be it pukka scientific laboratory tests, or the equally valuable on-the-riverbank empirical experiences of other anglers, why ignore them, especially in view of your initial question at the start of this thread?!

DG

[ 04. April 2004, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

I also managed to hit mouse early as well, hence previous post.

That was a great spot, I have been in stitches for ages. Yep I meant fireline. The picture posted is real Diamond so to speak. :D

Mind you I think that recent posting of the reel with the circuit board to control over run has influenced me subliminally.

Thanks cheered me up no end :D on a day where gut rot meant the tackle I loaded the car with last night went no where except back into the garage this afternoon.

On a more serious note however is it true that the monos with the greatest reputations for abrasion resistance are the thickest for a given diameter. For example: Big Game.

I also saw some test results a while back where 95% of the nylons broke well above the stated BS, and with the exception of Fireline the hi tech lines broke at significantly lower BS. I have also seen knot strength results for Fluoro carbons which did not compare well with standard Mono.

quote:

Originally posted by malevans:

I am due to make an investment shortly and was planning to go for 50 lb firewire on my Mitchell Orca 75L Lever Drag. I was also considering 14lb Firewire for one of my lure set ups.

quote:

Did I really type Firewire

Yup!

:D

OK, Fireline, it is then! You'll get IT departments an even worse reputation :rolleyes:

quote:

On a more serious note however is it true that the monos with the greatest reputations for abrasion resistance are the thickest for a given diameter. For example: Big Game.

I also saw some test results a while back where 95% of the nylons broke well above the stated BS, and with the exception of Fireline the hi tech lines broke at significantly lower BS. I have also seen knot strength results for Fluoro carbons which did not compare well with standard Mono.

Well, Mal,

You seem to have enough facts at your finger-tips to answer your own original question(s)!

Personally, unless you prefer the characteristics of a fusion line such as Fireline, I would strongly suggest that you go for 50 lb PowerPro on your Mitchell, and use something like 20 lb Whiplash or SpiderWire Stealth for your lure-fishing set-up for normal medium-sized everyday lures.

I should add that you'd be well advised to have a look at the bulk spools of a top brand of braid for sale at here at TackleBargains.co.uk .. mention Anglers Net or else! Our Den (Poledark) and others have been very pleased with it, without exception;

__________________ Posted Image

in fact Den has reviewed it here

The Fenwick Iron Thread they also have, is also a very nice braid

__________________ Posted Image

.... and there's some Fireline there if you insist! No Firewire though :D

NOTE: The Spiderwire they have on sale, is the previous Spiderwire and is perfectly good, although it's not Spiderwire Stealth

DG

[ 04. April 2004, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Yeah they were some results based upon five tests on each of various products in a mail order catalogue, supplied to help inform their customers. I am not clear on how scientific they were. The fluoro carbon stuff was in one of the game mags but actually how these were conducted remains unclear.

quote:

Yeah they were some results based upon five tests on each of various products in a mail order catalogue, supplied to help inform their customers. I am not clear on how scientific they were.

Yup, I also have a copy of that cataloque, and the test results pretty-much correlate with pukka independent lab tests that I have, and those carried-out by EFTTA, so I think you can rely on their accuracy..... much better than some of the hick tests I've seen carried-out by some tackle marketing companies .. rubbing lines over house-bricks, rusty nails or the edges of tables ,,,, for abrasion tests ... give me a break! And it's not as though the companies I'm referring to, can't afford to have pukka independent tests carried-out .. I wonder why :rolleyes:

Answer: Perhaps they were among the companies who supplied 84% of the lines tested by EFTTA that failed to meet their label-claims :mad:

A double rip-off .... first they rip you off on price, and then you realise that they've also ripped you off re: the false product claims :mad:

DG

[ 04. April 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]