Tactics for stillwater barbel

WickerDave

Ignoring the contentious issue of whether barbel should be in stillwaters (please don't re-discuss this here), are there any methods or baits that can be used in a typical carp puddle to separate them from the carp? Bans would include night fishing, particles and pellets, but groundbait is allowed.

From a years limited experience of 20+ stillwater only fish from 4oz to 8lb, it seems the small fish shoal - catch one and you catch several very quickly. Multiple catches of better fish have been rare, it's usually only a single fish on luncheonmeat in the margins in the last hour before dark, often with the last cast.

I fish a stillwater that holds them into double figures and although they tend to be caught in the same area with the odd one coming out somewhere else I have found that pr-baiting has caught me more than usual. Mind you you are not going to get away from the carp cos they will scoff anything. Get the hemp in as it is cheap and try something smelly like cheese paste on the hook or pepprami. This has worked for me in the past and in one session had 10 barbel plus the carp.

Seph

Paul