Mayfly

Jeff S

Have had a hatch nearly every evening for the past few weeks. Sadly it is coming to an end though impressive to watch. Any ideas what type this one is?

IMG_0274.JPG

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Guest PhilB

There are 3 possibilities in the UK: E.danica (the commonest), E.vulgata (uncommon) or E.lineata (the rarest). As Ian says, yours looks like a danica (spinner). Beautiful flies, there was a good hatch at Witton Castle when I was there on 14th May. The fish were very wary of them tho'. They must be big and scary to a newly stocked rainbow!

Guest PhilB

I live about a mile from the river Blyth and there is a gentle breeze blowing up from there tonight. I just went out and found this on my car:

mayfly003.jpg

The River Blyth, I remember that, is it still good for Grayling?

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

They are quite a sight just before it gets dark. I've seen some others that were bright green riding high in the water and not as large. In late summer I think. Obviously not the same species.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

Guest PhilB

Tony, there are still grayling there although I don't fish there myself.

Jeff, the green ones you have seen will be the dun just after it has hatched. This moults to the spinner which then mates and lays eggs on the water. Both the photos here are of the spinner. When I told wor lass it had flown up from the river she asked "shouldn't we take it back, it might be lonely up here!"

[ 16. June 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: franticfisherman2 ]

Hi FF2, I've just picked up a book on British flora and fauna. Interesting to me how they develop. I think I read somewhere (Fly-Fishing and Fly-Tying last month) that some of the flies spend 3 years as nymphs before they hatch. Amazing stuff really.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

3 years as a bug crawling through mud on a river bed and then one magical day you are turned into a thing of grace and beauty and life is one long sexual frenzy. The downside is your new life lasts for 24 hours.