News from North Uist

Sandison

THE SALMON FARM PROTEST GROUP

www.salmonfarmmonitorr.org June edition online now!

ADVERTISING STANDARDS AGENCY COUNCIL

FIND IN FAVOUR OF FISH FARMS AND FAKE SALMON

After ten months, the Advertising Standards Authority Council (ASA) has rejected complaints from the Salmon Farm Protest Group (SFPG) about claims made by Scottish Quality Salmon (SQS) in adverts promoting their members’ farms and environmental practices.

The Council judgement includes the statement, “The Authority considered that the advertisers had shown that their members’ salmon farms were different from other salmon farms in Scotland, because of their adherence to a very high standard of fish health, welfare and environmental management that was independently audited.”

SSPG chairman Bruce Sandison commented, “If during that time the ASA had bothered to investigate the claims made by SQS for their members’ farms and environmental management, they would have found a very different story, as I did when I visited South Uist and North Uist in the Western Isles from 31st May until 3rd June.

THE SALMON KILLER DISEASE THAT NEVER WAS - BRUCE SANDISON REPORTS FROM A FAKE FISH DISPOSAL DUMP ON NORTH UIST AND THE MARINE HARVEST SITE AT LOCH SHEILAVAIG ON SOUTH UIST

“The most recent activity was at the north end of the dump, where it also seemed to have spilled over and extended onto adjacent land. A huge heap of sand drew my attention. It enclosed a pond of slurry. As I came downwind of the pile and caught the smell from it, my stomach churned and I doubled over to be wretchedly sick.

The whole area reminded me of a scene from the 1917 Battle of Passchendale; the broken barbwire fences, the crude marker posts stuck in the sand, the appalling smell of death and decay, and the clouds of flies. How could anybody, I thought, allow this to happen? How could Marine Harvest, or any other fish farmer who used the dump, pretend that they cared for the environment?”

GUEST COLUMN BY DAVID SUSUKI, INTERNATIONALLY RENOWNED ENVIRONMENTALIST

ROD MCGILL CALLS FOR REMOVAL OF FISH FARMS FROM SCOTTISH COASTAL WATERS

Read all the stories on www.salmonfarmmonitor.org now!