hook and leader for dapping Mayfly (greenfly)

Guest cirripedia

Guest cirripedia

Hi all,

this is not a "fly fishing" topic but I'm hoping

this might be a good forum to try.

Last May I broke the last "good" Mayfly dapping hook I had i.e. with a "thick" shank, so that the live greenfly doesn't fall off it too easily.

Any new "dapping" hooks I've seen are miserable excuses.

Can anyone suggest any source I might try for

mayfly dapping hooks?

Thank you,

Cirripedia.

p.s.Determined to be ready for next May!!

I have never heard of special hooks designed for dapping. I have used Partridge L2A and Kamasan B175 for dapping on The Corrib. the Kamasan is a pretty heavy hook but for thicker wire, why not look at some specimen carp hooks. Alternatively, it may be possible to "thicken" the part of the hook where the fly is impaled by running on some tying thread and varnishing or supergluing it so it smooth. I have also used a 2 hook tandem rig (size 12's) where the fly or flies are impaled on the top hook only, this has improved the hooking ratio slightly, the B175 is good for this. Good luck whatever your choice. :)

Guest cirripedia

Hi Fff2,

thanks for your reply.

I dap on Lough Derg (Mountshannon area).

The dapping hooks I use come with approx. 6ft of

nylon line attached to the shank of the hook (no eye) by binding and varnish/glue.

Do the Partridge L2A and Kamasan B175 have "eyes" on them?

Also, you mention specimen carp hooks : unfortunately don't know anything about carp fishing; again are these with "eyes".

Are there any on line pictures of these that you know of?

I was interested to hear about you using a 2 hook

tandem rig.

Is the fish sometimes hooked on the second hook?

Best regards,

Cirripedia.

The partridge and kamasans are eyed and most of the carp/specimen hooks will probably be eyed. I am sure there will be some links on this site to companies who sell them. Regarding the tandem rig, yes a lot of fish are hooked on the bottom hook but I still miss a lot - you know what happens; a fish comes up, the floss goes down, and you lift into nothing, very frustrating! :confused: