Fly fishing numpty

badexcuseforanangler

Hi all

First post in the fly forum

First time I fished the fly was about 15 years ago the second time was 3 weeks ago in France caught a few carp, bass and pumpkinseeds on the fly.

The question is Im off to Egypt next month, Ive got a cheap travel fly rod and plan to have a go off the beach and reef. What sort of flies should I take with me? and any other tips

Ive been to the place snorkling didn't see any sharks or the like biggest fish Ive seen is 2-3 lb at the most. Don't ask me what sort of fish though. I reconized some as some sort of mullet in the clean sand off the beach and every so often would see some tuna sort of thing about 2lb in weigh swimming at lighing speed chasing small bait fish.

Out on the reef lots of the fish looked like they had teeth so Im guessing a bit of wire will be needed.

Thanks for any help

Darren

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?

Hi Darren,

I presume you'll be going around Sharm? You will be fine with anything between a 6 - 8 weight, and any flyline. For your leader, get one of about 7' of 12lb line and tie on a tippet of 2' 10lb flourocarbon. Most of the teeth are for crushing, not biting so you should not need wire. (maybe take some just in case - but I doubt it).

For the mullet, try early morning and prebait with some bread, when they relax and are taking it freely, then any white marabou dry fly thing should work on about a size 8/10.

I don't think the others are tuna, more likely to be small kingfish / trevally. Good fun on light tackle! Try a selection of freshwater reservoir lures designed to imitate baitfish, or small versions of Lefty's Deceiver / streamer pattern in chartreuse / blue / white.

For general reef fish, go with a prawn / crab imitation, Crazy Charlies in pink and tan tend to do well.

I will be in Sharm, 20-23 Nov so will say hi if I see some crazy guy waving a flyrod around!

Tight lines

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

Thanks for that Fin-S Im flying into Sharm but staying about an hours drive up the coast at a place called Dahab. Its mainly a windsurfing holiday but the wind don't kick in til 10am and Im always up early

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?