Floating Baits

kevin.snow

I am going to use floating bait for carp for the first time tomorrow, one of the baits I intend to use is Chum mixer as I have never used it before I would like to know how long you soak it before you can use it as a hook bait.

+ any other baits you can suggest

Tight Lines

Kevin

Hi Kevin, there are a number of ways of using 'Mixers'. You could always drill (using a nut drill) and hair-rig the 'Mixers', as Chris has already suggested, or you could cut a groove into the 'Mixer' using a hacksaw blade and super-glue it to the shank of the hook.

Personally I prefer to use a hair-rigged cork ball and 'mixers' as freebies. The carp just can't tell the difference between the cork hook-bait and the freebis 'Mixers'.

The cork ball never comes off and therefore never needs re-applying line 'Mixers' do. IMO there's nothing worse than trying to re-bait when the carp are slurping away on your freebies!

This is how i soften chum mixers:

Pour boiling water over them leave for about 20 seconds,pour the water off and then drop your mixers in a platic freezer bag,tie it up and when you get to your peg they are nice and soft. The good thing is you can freeze them,just remember to take them out the freezer a couple of hours before you need them.

Paul