Sturgeon

14/3/88

I have this year caught 2 sturgeon this year from my local fisher Crow Green Farm and i a almost intrigued by them now . the first one i caught was on legered cockels , the second on float method with maggot close in (like right next to the bank) . i was wondering if anyone else has caught them before and maybe know more about them than i do . please reply if you have any so called "wonder-baits" that are worth a try .

Hi jamie,

From my experiences with sturgeon I would say that they will take just about anyting remotely 'foody' that they come across.

I am yet to catch a 'uk' sturgeon but have caught numerous over in France. I read somewhere that they are stocked in French lakes to keep the lake bed clear of any old bait that would otherwise be lying around rotting.

Changing the subject of your post slightly "What did you make of the fight from the sturgeon ??" ... awesome or what !!. For me, the best part is when after winding down on the fish having struck you see the line breaking the surface and then the fish junps clear of the water. I had a 20lb'er that jumped clear 7 or 8 times during the fight ... fantastic fishing !!.

Being a 'Carper', as much as it hurts to admit it I would have to say that in my opinion the fight from a 20lb sturgeon knocks spots off the fight from a 20lb carp.

What do you think ??. What size were the 2 that you caught from Crow Green ??.

Gadget

It's not the meat on the legs........

Gadget ,

i actually hooked these fish in a small stream bit that leads off from another lake to the next one . it was about 3ft wide , so i think "jumping" is a bit out of the equation . and coming to comparing the fight to a carp , i cant comment , because i have yet hooked a carp as i am new to the specific type of fishing , i started in december , a bit of a bad time i know but hey thats fishing . the two i caught were about 5lb's and 7lb's , there are larger specimens in the lake though .

There is an intriguing article on predator-fishing.co.uk that describes an attempt to catch them.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

hay hay hay!!!!!!now were talking.i fish sturgeon all the time.i am in b.c.canada.i fish the fraser sturgeon every chance i get.my biggest is 9 12 feet.estimated weight 400 pounds.took over 4 hours to land.these fish hunt by season of food source.watch your water ways for tasty treats. baits out here are mainly dew worms ,ells,fish roe[stinky is better]minnows,liver,these are the best out here.just keep on the movment during runs.but dew worms with a smell ie attractans are best.good luck my fellow line breaker.and have fun.