New season fish

Worms

My local trout season doesn't open until tuesday.

Has anybody on earlier season waters been catching yet?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Well I caught two today, both about 12 oz but on spinner as it was blowing a gale and the rain was coming down like a cow pi@@ing on a flat rock!

oh well, once the river's dropped a bit I might get a chance with the fly rod.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Still almost 2 weeks to go here; I will wet a line on opening day. Always do but more in hope than expectation. On the end of that line will almost certainly be a dry fly. There is a magic window usually between about 12:30 and 1:30 when this will work. In the past I have caught on opening day with a dry but never with a nymph.

What will be your choice of first fly?

Cheers,

OT.

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious"

Still almost 2 weeks to go here; I will wet a line on opening day. Always do but more in hope than expectation. On the end of that line will almost certainly be a dry fly. There is a magic window usually between about 12:30 and 1:30 when this will work. In the past I have caught on opening day with a dry but never with a nymph.

What will be your choice of first fly?

Cheers,

OT.

Probably an Adams or a tiny Greenwells if on dry, maybe an Alder. If wet I will probably use a Cocch-y-bondu, Teal and orange, or the ubiquitous Pheasant tail (or a combination). I have that wonderful 'choice' for 11 days of wild brownies or grayling!

The two fish I caught on spinner last night were of about average size for the river but in stunning condition and fat!

The weather here is lovely now, bright/overcast with very little wind so depending on the colour of the water after last night's downpour I may go this evening. I'll take the dog out shortly to check the river!