Tying knots with thick line, (amnesia and ESP bristle).

shooter

I have recently seen a pop-up rig that is, or was used by Terry Hearn. I've got the materials to tie the rig but I have had problems tying the amnesia and the ESP bristle to the rig rings without them looking like they would not hold out when a fish is on. Could anyone tell me what sort of knot I need to tie them with and any good methods?

TA.

Hi Shooter, the best knot (IMO) for the Amnesia is the Palomar knot and the best knot for the ESP Bristle is a two-turn blood knot.

As Terry himself has said, don't treat the Bristle like mono, but more like wire. He's dead right, the two-turn Blood knot in Bristle is indetructable.

Another good thing about the two-turn blood knot is that you can get the pop-up section as low as half an inch if required. (I don't like to use pop-ups over an inch)

Hope that helps, any prob's and I'll do you a quick sketch.

shooter:

A sketch would be nice Gaffer. Still having a few problems!!!!!

Hi Shooter, no prob's mate,

I've been tying my rigs up recently using ESP Bristle for all parts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First the 'D' rig using the Knotless-knot, which I think you'll already know. (below)

Drig.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use 'ringed' swivels (swivels with a ring) at each end of the 'boom' section instead of loops as I've found them to be less hastle and maintenance free. (below)

All of the knots, except the knotless-knot/'D' rig, are the two-turn blood-knot.(using plenty of siliva when tightening)

Only use the two-turn blood-knot when using ESP Bristle.

I then singe the loose end with a lighter.

2TBK%20001.jpg

Here is a picture of my rig (ignore the straighened hook!! :rolleyes: ) using ESP Bristle.(below)

If my pop-up is too bouyant I mould 'Heavy Metal' putty aroung the swivel, but leaving the ring to move freely.

Stiff-rigger.jpg

Hope that helps.

[ 14. October 2002, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]