Stay Put Hair Riggers

Anyone tried out them 'Stay Put Hair Riggers'? They are GREAT! Your Luncheon meat dont fall off when u cast! The only things is, I dont now how you actually put them on properly. Do you put them on the end of the hair or the hook because when u put them on the hair loop, it it quite far from the hook and I'm not sure if fish can get the hook in its mouth before feeling the weight of the bomb and gettin the hook secured in its mouth. Meanwhile, on the hook it just comes off!!

Hi Jamie,

Yes I have tried them with varying results I’m afraid and the dilemma's you have were mine also. On a hair I tried putting the loop of the hair through the loop on the SPHR and then carefully threading in over the wire and back up to the loop – like joining a hook link loop to a mainline loop really. When I got fed up with that I found that I could force the hair rig loop through the very small gap there is at the end of the SPHR loop. Trouble is I kept losing them (the SPHR's) and eventually this latter method damaged the hair loop and eventually it broke. I was also worried about fish health - where do they go? On my standard hairs the distance from the hook was also a concern, and shortening the hair ruined it I used a bait that did not need the SPHR.

In the end I stopped using them. As they say in that ad on the Tele – life’s complicated enough!!

Regards.

Roger.

Thats what I was worried about - what if the fish swallowed it?? Do you think is would be able to spit it out (like puke it up itself) or would it pass through. Well I got the idea of tieing a knot around the loop on the SPHR with the hair. It doesnt do hardly any damage to the loop. Its just that you have gotta stick with luncheon meat the whole day because you cant get it off until you do it at home when you have the comfort and time. Well good luck with them everyone!

Well I spoke to the owner of the fishery I tend to use most and he knew the product and he said he wasn't concerned. I can't remember exactly how the conversation went but it was along the lines that Carp pick all sorts when rummaging for food and (I think) he said that he doubted that they take it down anyway. He did say that the first time he finds a dead fish with one in its stomach though they will be banned!

Also don’t miss the fact that you can put other baits on the SPHR as well as meat, i.e.: paste, bread, maybe even corn, but I have to say that overall I found them more trouble than they are worth.

All the best.

Roger

Thanks! Atleast I can fish with a little less worriedness now. I really thought there was something wrong with these and left me thinking whether I should be using them or not. i dread to think what harm it could do if it did swallow them all the way down?