Last few days

wayne baker

Well i managed to get out on the river yesterday for the last time this season. I managed a few chub, and a couple of half decent roach. Back to work this morning until sunday so no more fishing for me. Good luck to the rest of you if you are venturing out the last few days.

Tight lines Wayne

Edited by wayne baker

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Conditions looking really good here on the Avon, just typical as the rivers are about to close!

Got the green light to go out for the whole day so am taking every bait I can get in my bag and start early to try and catch some of teh big river carp and barbel

Went out after a last gasp barbel yesterday. River here also looked spot on.

2 hours without a tap and I decided to switch tactics and go for a big grayling (where has my patience gone?!)

So I whacked on a maggot feeder, one red one white on the hook, and cast out into the flow.

The feeder hit bottom, bounced twice along the bottom and BANG, a double wrap around, "this must be a good fish" i thought.

What was it....................................??

4LB Barbel :P haha

110320091138.jpg

So one more session left for me on saturday, haven't decided where it will be spent yet though..

Had my final try on the Len yesterday.

With most of the fallen timber washed through now, although not deep, the current was charging through and the fish difficult to find.

Managed a 1.5lb chub, another about half a pound, and a gudgeon.

The water was fairly clear and the sunshine didn't help either.

Interestingly I found the carcass of a pike around 7lb caught beneath a log.

Of course there is no way of knowing where it originated from, or how far it had been washed downstream, but I've often wondered about the possibility of a jack lurking in the deeper pools and undercuts (deep being about 3ft!)

Off to Barton Court tomorrow for a final fling on the rivers.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust