Fishing Line

Ziffy

after scoping the various on-line tackle shops, i have noticed that there are many differnt lines avalable, can someone tell me what advantages there to some of this no-memory line, if there are any. Oh can someone explain it to me. (tad thick you see)

Hi Ziffy,

‘Memory’ refers to how a line reacts when off the spool. Basically when you spool-up a reel and fish using that reel all season, the line will eventually have a slight natural coil in it when it comes off, reflecting the way in which it has been wrapped around your spool all season.

As such, the amount of curl it retains is referred to as ‘memory’. Thus a line which stays really straight after a long time on the spool is referred to as ‘no’ or ‘low’ memory.

Whilst memory is undoubtedly an important factor when choosing which main-line to use; it’s by no means as important (IMHO) as say, abrasion resistance, controlled stretch or diameter.

Abrasion resistance is key if you are fishing waters where you have lots of bars or shelves which the line is likely to rub-up against during a battle, or waters with heavy weed growth, pads, or snags.

Controlled stretch helps in terms of setting the hook properly, striking without cracking-off, etc. You need enough to allow an amount of shock-absorption, but not too much so that you can’t dictate the proceedings when fishing at distance.

Diameter per pound is also vital. Increased BS for a lesser diameter will ultimately mean you’ve got a thinner line in the water which increases sensitivity and helps put you ‘in-touch’ with the fish much better when fishing at distance.

I’m using Top Line for all my fishing but I should point out that I have backing from them. Pro-Gold would be my second choice.

For more info check out Jim Gibbinson's articleon line.

Cheers,

Julian

[ 03. September 2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Julian ]

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

I use braid for every thing but general float fishing now and have done so for over ten years.I would have no hesitation at all thiugh in reccomending Maxima Chameleon,in all its many sizes.Used this for 25 years BB (before braid!)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i have always used what ever the shop recomend, usually a line that only costs about £5, but once i can get out and about freely, i would like to try many diferent lines, I heard some are almost invisable to fish, so it makes life a little easier to catch.

Is this the type of line you mean Julian?

Budgie, some of the fisheries here dont allow braid, but i will invest in some for those very snaggy waters.

Hi Ziffy,

It does help if you can find a line with a low refractive index, though to be honest most are very similar. It’s only when you start looking at Fluorocarbons (used mainly for hook links) that you get an index close to that of water itself.

In terms of colour I’ve always tried to stick to ‘natural’ with no ill effect.

As for braid; it really is a personal thing. I know those who swear by it and those who wouldn’t dream of using it. I’ve used it in the past, but to be honest would always prefer a good mono in any angling situation.

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

i currently have about 600 metres of ultima specilist 12lb line, which seems to have a lot of memory, but i'm sure it will do me untill i need some more.

anyone else using or used this type of line?