Marker poles and mussel beds!

shooter

Sorry about the weird topic header but I couldn't really think of anything else. Later this year in May, a group of us are going out to fish the Sloterplas in Amsterdam. We went out last year in September and had a reasonable trip with quite a few carp up to 29lbs. While we were there, most of the other anglers were using boats with marker poles, this time we plan to take a boat but I have been unable to track down any of these marker poles, can anyone tell me where I can acquire some of these elusive items??

The other question I had was what sort of main line is best to use considering the presence of huge beds of razor sharp mussels?

Thanks for reading,

Marc.

Hi Shooter, easy fella, you're not going 'til May!

What do you mean exactly by a marker pole?

Is it...

1. A pole that is pushed into the lakebed which is set just beyond the baited area and used as a marker to cast to once the baited area has been established by boat?

Or,

2. A pole that is pushed into the lakebed at a 45Deg angle to mark a nearby open-water snag, and to allow (guide) the line over it when playing a fish?

Or,

3. A pole the has the depths marked on it for depth finding (and feature finding) by boat?

Once we've established what it is you need I'm sure we can help you out.

Either way I'm 100% sure it'll have to be a DIY job, which I'm sure is what Eddie was getting at.

As for line I suggest a tough mono in a high poundage, with possibly a Quicksilver Braid leader, like Ton-up. Any more suggestions on mainline, anyone?

[ 07. February 2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

Assuming your boating the baits out.

Leadcore or Quicksilver leader, polyballs sliced halfway through with a razor so they slide on and grip the line but also slide off at the rod tip, and maybe a floating mainline.

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Eddie was dead right.

buy 2 lennths of plastic electrical conduit, they need to be diferent diamiters, so one slides in and out of the other. then tie/glue/cement/stick a large weight on one end of the thickest pole.(those bricks with the holes in work well,although 2 or 3 pounds of lead is best)

make sure that the poles are short enough to be hiden under the water when not in use, and all you do is row it out and slide the thin pole out till it is out of the water and visible.

when you leave the water, slide it down inside the larger pole and no one will know its there, but the fish will grow accustomed to it, then when you return, row out and slide it up again.

if a hooked fish runs round it , it just leans over and your line will run over it, then it springs back up again.

some dutch anglers attach led's to the poles so you can see em at night. clever huh?

Nice one Sid Bonkers! :)

We found sub-surface (empty) 'Sunny Delight' bottles tied to bricks did a good job. They are cheap to make, easy to transport/deploy and more importantly, easy to find.