how to catch a 20

andyboy

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:

Rob. If they're not in the water, you're not fishing for them are you?

I appreciate my reply may sound obvious but I have seen people before spending a season or more on a water for that 'elusive 20' when in actual fact no-one has ever caught one from the water.

Rob.

[ 17. November 2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: RobStubbs ]

short of stalking 'em there's not a lot you can do to select the fish you catch. however in an open water situation certain rigs have a history of fooling the bigger fish, hinged stiff rig pop up for instance. Fishing the hookbait off the main baited area another frequently mentioned trick (theory being the bigger fish hang back whilst the smaller ones are first in working the area). tbh though as long as they're in there it's usually a numbers game, you may have to wade throught the little'uns to get there in the end. additionally knowledge is everything, larger fish often have known favourite areas and you can only discover these through time on the bank, speaking to others and observing the lake. a lot of others swear by new or full moons for big fish captures, i have to admit am very confident on the three days or so after full moon.

good luck though, at least if its been a struggle to get there you'll appreciate it all the more when it happens then if you went to an overstocked mudhole.

so far its been ten years or so ive fished some hard waters and blanked for a sesion but becouse i take my kids now i fish more well stocked waters the boys had 20s and the wife has had 3 of the things but being a bloke i have to do things proper and not just lob the rod out and hope i no im going to bag one soon just hope its before i retire