Anchoring in tide near concrete

Glasgowdan

conger.jpg

:) Thanks for replying folk. Yes it's the good old conger on my mind. I'll think carefully about all of this. The problems I can see are fishing with heavy line to get the fish out of the snags might prove problematic if it wins and I get hooked up with 50lb line, and the force of heaving out a big eel might trip an anchor that is otherwise holding.

Food for thought though. I don't see any benefit in the twin anchor system on this particular mark due to the layout of the structure in comparison to the tide. Might be worth a recce to decide for sure if it's possible or not to tie alongside a pillar

Edited by Glasgowdan

conger.jpg

:) Thanks for replying folk. Yes it's the good old conger on my mind. I'll think carefully about all of this. The problems I can see are fishing with heavy line to get the fish out of the snags might prove problematic if it wins and I get hooked up with 50lb line, and the force of heaving out a big eel might trip an anchor that is otherwise holding.

Food for thought though. I don't see any benefit in the twin anchor system on this particular mark due to the layout of the structure in comparison to the tide. Might be worth a recce to decide for sure if it's possible or not to tie alongside a pillar

I stay near Stirling, so from the photo that was on for a while I think I might know the location. I have no intention of trying for conger myself in the forseeable future. I think the odd mackerel or pollack would suit (or exceed!) my level of experience for quite a while yet.

Good luck with the conger, and keep safe.

Cheers

Roly

Sounds at least worth a try. It's a scottish mark and I wouldn't be fishing floats ;) (whole mackerel on the bottom with a boat rod and reel set to max drag!). Might consider it...got to get a kayak first but this mark would make that worthwhile in itself.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan I'm new around here and fish more then 5000 miles away here in Los Angeles Calif USA but

have many years experience in fishing tight to structure. I have the same concerns about anchoring my kayak

close to dangerous areas and think in your case a small cartop aluminum or Fixed transom inflatible might be the better and safer way to go about the Conger hunt. Paddling backwards against 2 kts of current and trying to pull an anchor isn't going to work out too well if you start dragging. I'd go for a 6hp or better outboard on a Zodiac or equivelent inflatible. With the outboard you can quickly get out of a tight spot and manuver in the current while pulling the anchor. It's not a cheap solution but alot safer and more effective.

as we say here in the US ,just my 2 cents ;)

Don