The clock is ticking

lyn

I checked out a couple of local rivers, large and small and they didn't look very inviting at all. They where well down and hadn't got the usual desired flow. There where a few fly fishing (salmon) anglers which obviously is ok but also there where several Plank's fishing for Barbel all in a short stretch of river. It really jacked me off as myself along with most coarse anglers are obeying the rules and abstaining from their sport till it's legal to fish. I could see evidence of pegs being hammered by coarse anglers throughout the closed season !

Seen more t**ts fishing in the close season this year than ever before....I suspect if I actually walked some of the banks I would have found even more.

Saw some muppet fishing off a 20/30ft high bridge on Sunday for chub....he said his line was 12lb so that made everything okay (not thinking about the damage it would do to the fish hauling it out) :angry:

Edited by Neil G

Plenty of small roach, and a bream around 5lbs or so (taken close in on shallow ground where I could lay the maggot bait hard on the bottom in front of it as it mooched along).

I saw lots of bream appearing and disappearing atop the weed, but uninterested in moving bait (or free offerings).

I also saw a large orangy-brown lamprey, around the length and thickness of my arm, heading downriver just below the surface.

It was great to be back on a river. :)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Went to the Thames, put barbel rod about 2 rod lengths out and thought I would trot a lob worm through the swim for the perch. I hooked into something that just clung to the bottom and at the end of my 4lb line I just felt the thud, thud of something big on the end. I gave it some slack, tried to gain some ground but it was not moving. I held the 'pin' and tried to move it again but put to much pressure on the line and, yes snapped off :o:(

That was the only bite I had all day but at least located a nice gravel run for future trips. At least I got out and had an 7 hour session and only my 2nd time of fishing the Thames, well in my adult life. Looking forward to many more now. All the anglers I spoke to had either blanked or had bream.

Looking forward to the next outing now :)

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!